It's installed but how do I find it?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jedsweb

It's installed but how do I find it?

Post by jedsweb »

I used the package manager to install a software package. Now it shows installed but how do I find it? I can find links from the menu search bar, but when i click them it just tells me it is already installed. I want to run it.

Good thing there are no stupid question!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: It's installed but how do I find it?

Post by WharfRat »

If you remember the name of the package you can dpkg -l package_name to list the package content

If there's a menu entry it will have a .desktop extension so you can grep for that too,

Sometime with the menu you have to log out then back in again for the menu to update.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Hard to know what exactly you did, but sometimes the icons don't show up in the menu system until you've rebooted the PC. Try that first, if you haven't already, then you'll know there's a problem,
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

WharfRat wrote:If you remember the name of the package you can dpkg -l package_name to list the package content

Code: Select all

dpkg -L package_name
Capital L !

Also try

locate program-name
sudo find / -iname "*part-of-name*" 
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Flemur wrote:
WharfRat wrote:If you remember the name of the package you can dpkg -l package_name to list the package content

dpkg -L package_name
Capital L !
OOPS :oops: good catch :wink:
377Ohms

Post by 377Ohms »

Hi jedsweb...

You don't tell us the name of the package(s) you installed. Some programs with a graphical interface won't install an icon in the Menu or will install an icon in the Menu but in an unexpected place. Did you carefully look through all the programs in Menu > All Applications? Of course a command line program will typically not have a Menu icon at all.

If you know the nane of the program's execitable file, you can find where the file resides in many ways. Here are just three examples locating the binary file for the ls command, which turns out to live in /bin/ls:

$ which ls
/bin/ls
$ whereis ls
ls: /bin/ls /usr/share/man/man1/ls.1.gz
$ type -a ls
ls is aliased to `ls --color=auto'
ls is /bin/ls
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It could also be an application without a graphical interface, that's meant to be used in the terminal.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”