First time user-Linux Mint has been installed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
justatntrader

First time user-Linux Mint has been installed

Post by justatntrader »

I have installed Linux Mint on an older Toshiba Satellite laptop - Intel 32 bit - that was running MS Vista. First of all let me say, i cannot believe how smooth the installation went AND how quick it was completed.

Everything is working perfect but i have a couple of questions for now...

1) Being used to a Windows download/install, i have noticed some Linux package downloads are commands such as "apt-get install konqueror". When i use the terminal, i get an access denied (am i root? message). When i use "sudo apt-get install konqueror" i am prompted for a password and the install works. Would someone explain why there isn't an "install link" like Windows? Is is possible to install all Linux software using this sudo method? How does one know what software name to use?

2) How do i access other computers on my home network? For example... using Windows, i was able to type in \\computername\etc and see the files, folders, etc. When using terminal, the \\ command is not understood.

Thank you in advance for any help or links you may provide.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: First time user-Linux Mint has been installed

Post by jimallyn »

The best way to install new software is with the tools that Mint has provided for that purpose: Software Manager and Synaptic. (I prefer Synaptic, but I hear a lot of newbies prefer Software Manager.) There is a great tutorial on installing software here:

viewtopic.php?t=97158

Not sure where you get the notion that some has to be installed using apt-get? I use apt-get now and then, but for the most part, I use Synaptic, and a lot of others use Software Manager. Both of those have access to all the same stuff that apt-get does.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

justatntrader wrote:Is is possible to install all Linux software using this sudo method?
sudo originally stood for "superuser do" and what is does is allows a permitted user to execute a command as the superuser (the root user).

So installing packages is not the only reason you would use the sudo command.

I know that in windows you can download a program, click it and choose where to install it.

Linux keeps strict application folder rules for the packages' files so there are no choices where to install an application - everything in its place :wink:
justatntrader

Post by justatntrader »

jimallyn wrote:Not sure where you get the notion that some has to be installed using apt-get? I use apt-get now and then, but for the most part, I use Synaptic, and a lot of others use Software Manager. Both of those have access to all the same stuff that apt-get does.
See this link...
https://konqueror.org/download/

That is where i found apt-get...
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

justatntrader wrote:
jimallyn wrote:Not sure where you get the notion that some has to be installed using apt-get? I use apt-get now and then, but for the most part, I use Synaptic, and a lot of others use Software Manager. Both of those have access to all the same stuff that apt-get does.
See this link...
https://konqueror.org/download/

That is where i found apt-get...
'apt-get' (or you can use just 'apt' instead in Mint which doesn't even need 'sudo' installs software from Mint's software repositories. All that software can be accessed through the software manager without touching the command line.

It is worth reading the Mint user guide available from the welcome screen in Mint. It will save you time in the long run.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

justatntrader wrote:That is where i found apt-get...
Well, that is one way to do it, alright. But I think probably most Linux users don't use the command line/terminal for software installs. There are two graphic interface programs available, Software Manager and Synaptic. (But there are Mint users who prefer to do everything from the command line.) I was just a little concerned because most people would probably tell you to use Software Manager or Synaptic, and I guessed you had probably found that on a website somewhere. It often happens that new users will post something like "I downloaded <some program> from <some website> and followed the instructions to install it. Now nothing is working." I don't want to see you in that situation! The best place to look for software for Mint is in Software Manager or Synaptic, and the best place to get advice for Mint is right here on the Mint forums. There's a tutorial on installing software here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158&
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
justatntrader

Post by justatntrader »

Thanks to all!

Return to “Beginner Questions”