nfsv4 acl GUI?+

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bobk1948
Level 1
Level 1

nfsv4 acl GUI?+

Postby bobk1948 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:18 am

Anybody know how to launch the GUI for the nfs4-acl-tools? I've installed the proper component of them on both a server and client, and can use the nfs4_setfacl and nfs4_getfacl commands from the command line perfectly. But I would like to be able to use a GUI to set acl's, as indicated by the comment in the Software Manager's entry for the tools. I have Eiciel installed for the POSIX.1e acl's, it works great, but won't work on nfs-mounted file systems.

Also, does anyone know of a set of general rules that can be used to apply nfs4 acl ACE's to files and directories? By "general rules" I mean a specification of what ACE permissions are applied when you specify a principal and specific ACE permissions as arguments to the nfs4_setfacl command. For example, if you give the following nfs4_setfacl command- nfs4_setfacl -a A::1001:rw test_file, the tools apply the following ACE (for the principal 1001, the uid of a user on the system) to test_file:
A::OWNER@:rwatTcCy
A::1001:rtcy
A::GROUP@:rtcy
A::EVERYONE@:rtcy
Notice, no w permission applied by the tools to principal 1001, even though it is specified in the nfs4_setfacl command.
Given any ACE you specify, what can you expect the tools to actually apply? The only guideline in the nfs4-acl-tools docs and man pages say that the ACE permissions granted will never be more permissive than what you designate in a nfs4_setfacl command. But that doesn't specifically say what designated ACE the tools will aplly. It's kind of hit-and-miss.
Thanks! :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”