Why not use "downloads" ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tovian
Level 4
Level 4

Why not use "downloads" ?

Postby tovian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 am

In another thread I used jimallyn's instructions to run a vulnerability detection tool. Eventually I got it to work, but I found an issue I had never seen - and do not understand...

After downloading Intel's Vulnerability Detection tool for both Windows and Linux I went to my downloads folder to move those packages to more appropriate locations. I found the Windows package inside the downloads folder - but not the Linux package. So, I went back to my browser's (download) history, right-clicked the Linux download entry, and selected "open containing folder". That took me to /tmp/mozilla_tovian0/ where I did find the downloaded tool for Linux.

What I do not understand is why the tool was not downloaded to my normal "downloads" folder like all my other downloads. Also, I found a handful of miscellaneous items in the /tmp folder that were all created within the last few days. For what is the /tmp folder used?

I'm sure there is a proper reason for what's going on here - and I would love for someone to explain it.

TIA
"Mankind has a perfect record in aviation - we have never left one up there!”

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Why not use "downloads" ?

Postby Flemur » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:49 am

tovian wrote:What I do not understand is why the tool was not downloaded to my normal "downloads" folder like all my other downloads.

My guess: you told it to "Open" the file rather than just save it, because then it puts the downloads in /tmp
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

tovian
Level 4
Level 4

Postby tovian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Flemur wrote:My guess..............

Thanks, Flemur. I guess I "fat-fingered" my selection. I do recall that the archive program opened after the download was complete so it seems your explanation is spot-on. I was just careless or in a hurry... I never intentionally use the "Open" option.

I still wonder about all the other stuff in /tmp - what all that folder is used for.
(I just know somebody's going to hint that it is used to store things temporarily :roll:)

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 pm

tovian wrote:
Flemur wrote:I still wonder about all the other stuff in /tmp - what all that folder is used for.
(I just know somebody's going to hint that it is used to store things temporarily :roll:)

Try

Code: Select all

du -a /tmp

I got a bunch of size "zero" fake files and two small lock files.
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

tovian
Level 4
Level 4

Postby tovian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Flemur wrote:Try... du -a /tmp

I got a bunch of crapola. Several entries about ICEDTEA Plugin got my attention... I don't know what that's all about. I Googled ICEDTEA Plugin and it doesn't sound like something I need - or want - or would have any idea what to do with. I cannot imagine what it's doing there.

Return to “Newbie Questions”