Finding program that is already installed [solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
confusious

Finding program that is already installed [solved]

Post by confusious »

Lately I have had problems with command line programs, and programs with no graphical interface because I forget the name of the program I downloaded. As I use the software manager looking through programs to install there are many programs with a check mark meaning they are already installed. I have even stooped so low as to look through the software manager in search of a program I am looking for. Considering the fact I can't run a program without knowing it's name or can't run a program if I don't know it's there, how do I find out what programs are installed on my system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Finding program thst is already installed

Post by trytip »

everything installed may have a CHECK MARK next to it but doesn't mean it's an executable program. many of those are files needed to run programs
here's a command that will list all executable applications along with the category installed under. BUT this is only a list for applications that have a .desktop extension. the command will create a text file on the desktop

Code: Select all

sed -nrs '/^\[Desktop Entry\]/d;/^(\[|Name=|Exec=|Categories=)/p;${g;p}' /usr/share/applications/*.desktop /usr/share/applications/kde4/*.desktop > ~/Desktop/Names-n-Commands.txt
this other code will give you every file installed and the size in bytes

dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "confusious",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) There are some excellent note taking applications, like the superb "CherryTree", where you can create a category like "Linux Console Terminal Applications", and or "Linux Console Terminal Commands", etc..., then add your notes to this, or create sub-notes for each application or command. This is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), but they also have a PPA for more current versions.

CherryTree
https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

2.) There is a History option in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" too.

3.) Here is another post on this topic with many suggestions.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=252813&hilit=list+ ... plications

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
confusious

Post by confusious »

trytip wrote:Code: Select all
sed -nrs '/^\[Desktop Entry\]/d;/^(\[|Name=|Exec=|Categories=)/p;${g;p}' /usr/share/applications/*.desktop /usr/share/applications/kde4/*.desktop > ~/Desktop/Names-n-Commands.txt

this other code will give you every file installed and the size in bytes

dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n
The first code was just what I was looking for. A list of all packages and the executable. I don't know about how they all ended up with a .desktop extension but it works. The second code you sent actually gave me a list of files but with my inexperience I don't think it will come to be of much use to me. BIG help! Thank-you!
phd21 wrote:1.) There are some excellent note taking applications, like the superb "CherryTree", where you can create a category like "Linux Console Terminal Applications", and or "Linux Console Terminal Commands", etc..., then add your notes to this, or create sub-notes for each application or command. This is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), but they also have a PPA for more current versions.
You read my mind. I will have to try "Cherry Tree". I haven't found any programs I like to save and organize commands as I learn how to use the command console. I have just been jotting notes down by hand up to now. Thanx

:D :D :D :D :D
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

confusious wrote:You read my mind. I will have to try "Cherry Tree". I haven't found any programs I like to save and organize commands as I learn how to use the command console.
I like, use and recommend Cherrytree. Be sure to go to the website and download the Cherrytree user manual. Look for ctb to download. This is a Cherrytree document, and when I first started using the program I found it helpful to use it as the first node in my Cherrytree documents.

Another program I like, use and recommend is TreeLine, and one thing I use it for is to organize the commands and terminal programs I use. The developer describes it as "a structured information storage program," which is another way to say "a lightweight database." Information is stored in fields; I find this helpful in cases like this because it makes the listings more consistent, easier to organize. and easier to read.

The version in the default repositories is old, but it is the version I recommend. You can download the current version from the website.
http://treeline.bellz.org/index.html
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Finding program thst is already installed [solved]

Post by trytip »

forgot to mention that there is also a list of .desktop items in .local/share/applications/ you can add this to the line of names and commands or just run it separate. but as you see some desktop items don't actually have a purpose other than as an extension for . desktop items

sed -nrs '/^\[Desktop Entry\]/d;/^(\[|Name=|Exec=|Categories=)/p;${g;p}' .local/share/applications/*.desktop > ~/Desktop/Names-n-Commands_local.txt
this code will do the same only add _local to the name

Return to “Beginner Questions”