No sound in Firefox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No sound in Firefox

Post by shane »

Please mention exactly which version of Mint you are using. And give us the out put of 'lspci' run in the terminal.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Please report this as a bug in the bug thread for the RC release...

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=25408

Sound for flash should work out of the box... Maybe it is something specific for your hardware... I am not sure. But please report this so that you will not have to go through this in the final release. Some who knows a fix might help you out over there as well.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

It's already in the bug thread, and there is a workaround for rc1 too.

regards, Richard

ps: shane, the sig below isn't for you! :wink:
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

:D I must confess I haven't been following the RC bug thread...
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

shane,
Yea, lots to follow . . I think the proprietary flash needs to be replaced.
Seems to me to be a lot of anticipation around here! Personally, I'm sqirmin'n'ma'seat for the kde release :D for my eye candy machine, and I'll patiently wait for xfce.

regards, Richard

mafteechr,
I'll search for the thread.
Re: mint and flash

New postby rivenathos on Fri May 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Code: Select all
apt remove --purge -y flashplugin-nonfree nspluginwrapper

apt install flashplugin-nonfree

The above seems to be the general consensus cure for this problem. There are a dozen or so threads in the forum with regards to this same ailment, so you may want to look at a few of them to see if you need anything special.
hope this will help . . . on the bright side, Mint 7 stable will be released soon! :D
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

why are we still using nspluginwrapper? It caused most of the Flash problems in Felicia... :?
Husse

Post by Husse »

shane wrote:why are we still using nspluginwrapper? It caused most of the Flash problems in Felicia... :?
We are not! I distinctly remember that it was to be removed and I just checked in my laptop - it is not installed
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Found another thread,
Re: Problems with Youtube and others

Postby Ozz on Thu May 14, 2009 8:53 am
Hi I had the exact same problem, with youtube, Deezer etc... freezing after I changed tabs and navigated to something else, or just being slow and stuff

My solution to this (credit goes to Miket for this actually :D )

Type this in the Terminal to remove the non-free flashplugin

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree

Then this to install the Adobe Flash plugin

sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
They went on to state that this fixed it for the user. Might be something to try?
regards, Richard
papagyo

Post by papagyo »

mafteechr,

I have an HP1120NR which is essentially the same thing you have except for the 10' screen. I tried every trick out there located both on this site and Ubuntu and a few others also, and I can say for sure that Ubuntu 9.04 and Mint 7RC1 do not work out of the box for sound on these systems. I just went back to mint 6 and everything works perfectly even after updating, same goes for the previous version of Ubuntu. Not sure if it is the version of Alsa because 1.0.17 worked fine but 1.0.18 which both mint 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 used does not produce any sound. Sorry I can't help you out more.

Brian
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Follow only Part A of this guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Then move on to the troubleshooting section.
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

OK! This:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt',
tells me something. Look at this guide (but be cautious and read everything I say):

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sound-solutio ... ent-page-1

You see the part where it says:
n System/Adminstration/Users and Groups check that your users and root are members of the following groups

pulse
pulse-access
pulse-rt

Reboot your system
That's part of the problem. Actually Markbuntu's guide:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sound-solutio ... ent-page-1

Is fine .................. except you do not want to install ubuntu-restricted-extras!

Other than that it should be fairly safe to follow that guide in Mint 7. But I've not had time to try it out in it's entirety in Mint!
papagyo

Post by papagyo »

Hi all,
Part A of this did not work for me with a fresh install of Mint 7 RC1, As I stated in an earlier post any of the suggested fixes did not solve my particular problem and I know for a fact that I had it set exactly as recommended. This post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046137 got the sound working to play mp3's and videos and such but is of no use to get the sound playing once Firefox application is opened. Sound does not work with or without any flash playing.....as long as the Firefox application is open all system sound is dead.

Brian
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Well, I've had no trouble in Mint 7, but in Jaunty I used Luke Yelavich's PPA's:

https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa

Of course that's an at your own risk deal!

I still wonder, if it's flash only that's effected, if you might have some gnash or swfdec packages installed???????????????

Go to package manager and type "flash" into Search (not the quick search or rebuilding search).

With a virgin install of Mint 7 you should only see .........................

Oh crap I have to reboot, I'm in Jaunty right now!

I'll be back directly!
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

OK, it's different between Ubuntu and Mint! (I knew it was)

In Mint 7 if you search flash in package manager you should only see "flashplugin-installer" and "flashplugin-nonfree' installed.

If you see adobe-flashplugin or any gnash or swfdec packages installed mark them for "complete removal". Then apply!
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Oh, and you must restart Firefox each time you make changes!

I've found it's best to go to File > Quit rather than just click on the close X in the upper right hand corner.

Return to “Beginner Questions”