Qt vs GTK -- why not one for all? Or both? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Qt vs GTK -- why not one for all? Or both? [SOLVED]

Post by cecilieaux »

I often see new software that is Qt and (from what I have been told viewtopic.php?f=90&t=188874 I get that Qt is for KDE, so in Linux Mint Cinnamon GTK is preferred. I understand this has something to do with the graphical user interface.

Why not have one GUI "system" that all software uses? Or make LM Cinnamon use both Qt and GTK?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
MintBean

Re: Qt vs GTK -- why not one for all? Or both?

Post by MintBean »

Cinnamon itself was written using the GTK framework but you can (and probably do) run both Qt and GTK applications on it.

Why does more than one framework exist? Different developers, different ideas, different features. Competition is good.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's not about the GUI so much as about all the code libraries used. Just because an app uses Qt libraries doesn't mean it's a KDE app. I've had Qt programs installed in GTK based DEs many times. No problem. They don't pull in a giant pile of dependencies or cause theming issues in GTK DEs unless they're actual KDE apps.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

cecilieaux wrote:Why not have one GUI "system" that all software uses?
Why have more than one make of car available? Why have more than one brand of beer available? :wink:
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

Reminds me of one of the paragraphs in 'Linux is not Windows' - " A Windows user isn't used to making so many choices just to get up & running. Exasperated "Does there have to be so much choice?" posts are very common. " .

( http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm )
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

turtlebay wrote:Reminds me of one of the paragraphs in 'Linux is not Windows' - " A Windows user isn't used to making so many choices just to get up & running. Exasperated "Does there have to be so much choice?" posts are very common. " .

( http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm )
So right! hanks for the laugh! I have been using Linux exclusively at home for several years, but I am still very much a newbie.

Thank you all for your various explanations.
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

turtlebay wrote:... Exasperated "Does there have to be so much choice?" posts are very common. ...
Actually I agree with that.; The flip side of choice is fragmentation, and the Linux world would be a LOT better without so much choice. Just as one example, there'd definitely be more ported software available if there was more consistent package management and consistent IDEs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”