Received a SQL injection notice when login[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
confusious

Received a SQL injection notice when login[SOLVED]

Post by confusious »

I was logged into the linux mint forums and received this message:

IP The IP from the vpn came up.
URL: forums.linuxmint.com/search.php?keywords=starts+up+in+emergency+mode+and+won%27t+boot&fid%5B0%5D=90
Your Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/62.0.3202.94 Safari/537.36
Block ID: SQLi24
Block reason: SQL injection was detected and blocked.
Time: Fri Nov 24 17:05:14 2017
Server ID: 14008

I had just entered a problem I was having in the search forum and the message popped up when I hit enter. The only thing I can possibly think of is the fact I was connected to a vpn. I was using windows 10 on a seperate computer from my linux mint but since it has to do with the Linux Mint Forums I thought I should write something in the forums.

Does this seem like an attack on me, or from my network somehow attacking the forums. My mint was showing a screen "Welcome to emergency mode" I was also having problems on mint with the cursor doing its own thing and thats why I rebooted. This is a problem that could be connected to this hack I would think. Maybe these attacks are just on my network and affect all computers connected to that network?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Received a SQL injection notice when login

Post by xenopeek »

Likely it was the apostrophe in your search query.
confusious

Post by confusious »

xenopeek wrote:Likely it was the apostrophe in your search query.
I don't see how an apostrophe could cause an SQL Injection warning. I don't remember if I used an apostrophe. It sounds like you have heard this before though possibly since I don't see if I used an apostrophe in the URL. I have used apostrophes by mistake many times in searches and this has never happened. I guess it's a possibility.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

confusious wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Likely it was the apostrophe in your search query.
I don't see how an apostrophe could cause an SQL Injection warning. I don't remember if I used an apostrophe. It sounds like you have heard this before though possibly since I don't see if I used an apostrophe in the URL. I have used apostrophes by mistake many times in searches and this has never happened. I guess it's a possibility.
...%27...
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
confusious

Post by confusious »

catweazel wrote:...%27...
? Remember I am a newbie.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

The %27 in the URL is an apostrophe. Anyone who pastes your URL into their browser will get this:

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
confusious

Post by confusious »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:54 pm Likely it was the apostrophe in your search query.
Thank-you for your answer. I'm sure that was the problem. My computer was acting suspicious at the time I remember. I forgot when I wrote this but a few of my other questions are also related to this. I discovered my drive had quite a few corrupt sectors on my disk which obviously got worst before I figured it out.

Sorry for answering so late. I found a few of my previous threads were incomplete so I am finishing them up and closing them like a good boy.

Cheers
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

confusious wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:21 am I found a few of my previous threads were incomplete so I am finishing them up and closing them like a good boy.
Mod note:
It's appreciated! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”