Booting mint and get emergency mode screen [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
confusious
Level 1
Level 1

Booting mint and get emergency mode screen [Solved]

Post by confusious » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:56 pm

I am using a dual boot linux mint with windows 10. I rebooted my computer after the cursor started highlighting things and it was moving by itself. When I rebooted I got the dual boot screen and when I try to boot into mint I get a screen "welcome to emergency mode". Windows boots up fine. The screen has two options. Maintanance and continue. Maintenance gives me a command prompt and continue gives me the mint splash screen for a long time and eventually goes back to the "emergency" screen.

I should mention that when I used my windows 10 only computer to use the Linux Mint Forums, I put the problem in the search bar hit enter, and got a SQL Injection warning detected and blocked. Could my whole network be under attack or is there another possible explaination?
Last edited by confusious on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Booting mint and get emergency mode screen

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Please try booting from LM live cd and see if it works. So that you can make proper inference.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD processor . Memory 8GB

confusious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by confusious » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:47 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:Please try booting from LM live cd and see if it works. So that you can make proper inference.
I eventually did create a live cd and it booted fine so it could have been a setting or some problem just with that mint install and not a problem with mint itself.

I figure that the message about the sql injection was to direct to be a false positive but i don't know. Then the computer starts in emergency mode. At this point I was having withdrawals from not being able to use mint (and I am a newbie) so I reinstalled mint using the live disk. At this point I'm just curious what others think might have happened in case it ever happens again.

deepakdeshp
Level 10
Level 10

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:55 am

It could be a hardware problem too. You can run memtest in your boot menu to test your memory and SMART utility to check your hard disk.
You can mark the thread as solved.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

deepakdeshp
Level 10
Level 10

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 am

confusious
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Booting mint and get emergency mode screen [Solved]

Post by confusious » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:58 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:It could be a hardware problem too. You can run memtest in your boot menu to test your memory and SMART utility to check your hard disk.
I ran the SMART utility but didnt really understand the results. It didn't look bad.

I will probably never figure out what caused this. Since I just reinstalled mint which fixed it but was a few days work to get everthing installed again, I will mark this solved.
Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit-Cinnamon version 3.4.3 Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz x 2

I told myself I would never leave windows. So glad I did!

greerd
Level 5
Level 5

Post by greerd » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Might want to set your backup plan into action?

confusious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by confusious » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:38 pm

greerd wrote:Might want to set your backup plan into action?
There is so much to learn at first that it's difficult to know what possible solutions there are for a problem. I noticed there are usually at least two ways to do something. I find your word backup very appropriate in this case as just yesterday I discovered how much easier it is to backup the os in mint compared to windows. I discovered timeshift which takes a snapshot of the whole os and settings. If I ever run into an issue again where the system fails I can install everything back to how it was with very little effort. I haven't needed to use this backup plan yet except testing it out but I am bound to screw something up again. Thanx for the suggestion.
Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit-Cinnamon version 3.4.3 Processor: Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz x 2

I told myself I would never leave windows. So glad I did!

Return to “Newbie Questions”