zoneminder?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

zoneminder?

Post by oldgranola » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:42 am

Anyone got zoneminder to work in LM? We all think we've followed all the directions but I still can't figure it out. As far as I can tell, I've followed to the letter: http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/sta ... buntu-14-x

but when I try to start from the command: $ service zoneminder start
I get:
Starting ZoneMinder: chown: changing ownership of ‘/var/run/zm’: Operation not permitted
chown: changing ownership of ‘/tmp/zm’: Operation not permitted
Can't open config file '/etc/zm/zm.conf': Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 129.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder/Config.pm line 129.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/ZoneMinder.pm line 33.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl line 48.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/zmpkg.pl line 48.
failure
--------------
Looks to me as if I need to set some permissions, but which and to what and how?
Thanks mucho
very old granola
Last edited by oldgranola on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: zoneminder?

Post by catweazel » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 am

sudo service zoneminder start
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:49 am

Thank you:
catweazel wrote:sudo service zoneminder start
I did try and thanks but...
$ sudo service zoneminder start
Starting ZoneMinder: failure

Definitely some specific chmods an chowns to make...but which?
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

silver_whiskers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by silver_whiskers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:37 am

Hello everyone, this is my first post in the forum......

ZoneMinder: I finally got it working after four attempts. I read a lot of 'stuff' and didn't give up, and maybe if I wasn't new to Linux it would not have taken four attempts. Here is what I did.....

If you have been meddling unsuccessfully I recommend starting from a clean sheet. Since I am re-purposing some hardware the penalty for installing LinuxMint from USB stick is about 15 minutes or less ... but at least you know there are no screwed-up ownership or group member settings.

First go here https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way and read the first two sections.

Do Not Use the 'su' command, do everything with 'sudo', and I ignored the shell script (which I tried once) and typed it all manually.

Now (from a fresh Linux installation) open a Command window and install tasksel.
- from tasksel install Open SSH
- from tasksel install LAMP
Do that as two separate steps in the order I specified

Now continue with modifying the mysql configuration file "my.cnf" as shown in the wiki.
Continue with securing mysql, or not if you have a private network.
I have not used the optional MyriaDB server.

When you get to the heading "Install Zoneminder 1.30.4", DO NOT install ZoneMinder, first go down and edit the "php.ini" to insert a time zone. I used Europe/London for obvious reasons.

Now go back the Install Zoneminder 1.30.4 heading and following all the steps to install ZoneMinder from the iconnor/zoneminder repository.
Do all the a2.... commands, chown, and other steps. Stop when you get to "Add timezone to PHP" which you should have done already.

REBOOT YOUR MACHINE

Login as usual and launch Firefox. In the address bar type "localhost/zm" and you should have something that looks like a ZoneMinder page. It will be totally uninteresting because it is doing nothing. Bookmark that page. You may be asked to login to ZoneMinder, the default login is admin/admin.

At this point make sure you perform the "IMPORTANT FINAL STEP" from the ZoneMinder wiki instructions. Ignore the "server-ip" links on the wiki which take you into outer space.....

I have an old XPS 1530 which connects to an Edimax IC-9110W using my domestic WiFi network. This will be migrating to a private home wired network as soon as I have got ZoneMinder motion detection going to my satisfaction.

The Edimax IC-9110W connects fine using the method described for Edimax IC-3140W in this page: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Edimax

Good Luck!

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:48 pm

In the end I gave up, I think I did finally manage to get it to work (and it took me a loooong time) but it was clunky. I had a look at Xeoma (and everything else) and in the end went out and bought a synology NAS running their surveillance station software. If you choose to go down this route, beware, the only client software from synology that will talk to the NAS and let you see your CCTV recordings ONLY runs under win or on a mac. It's one of the reasons I'm running VirtualBox with win7 installed.

I think the short answer is, if you want decent CCTV software, you've got to pay for it!!
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

silver_whiskers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by silver_whiskers » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:27 am

Update on my ZM installation.

The re-purposed hardware which I had fixed un-fixed itself again. The XPS display hardware suffered from the publicized faults found in the web, and defied all attempts (some brutal) to achieve a permanent fix. So I am back using the camera-native IC-9110W features which are substandard, IMHO. I am recording everything into a Sandisk component intended for PVRs and Dashcams which allegedly has a 2-year continuous recording life span. So far so good. I have a spare... :wink:

However: I succeeded in configuring ZM watch areas for my camera, including setting up ignore when next-door's car headlights swept the front lawn.
I also ran logging for a month and found the event filter quite useful because it allows one to quickly find events that might bear investigation. Handy when you have a week's worth of video to scan. I was checking how quickly a 750Gb disk would be filled when I discovered after 6 weeks that my hardware had died again.

I think you have to be a fan. There is something to be said for the approach taken by AndyMH.

It is also apparent that old hardware ( intel T9300 ) struggles to keep up with everything it needs to do. I wonder how the FX-8320 will perform... :mrgreen:

Return to “Newbie Questions”