Large file copy to external device issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jedavis1975
Level 1
Level 1

Large file copy to external device issue

Post by Jedavis1975 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 am

Here is what happens:
I copy a several files:

1GB file
30MB file
4.8GB file

I cut and paste to the external device the progress copy bar come up and when it finishes the bar goes away.
I then right click the icon on the desktop and choose safely remove.

When the Icon goes away I unplug my device, then get an error prompt about not being able to find a file. (it is late, I can reproduce this to get exact wording later)

I reinsert my drive and the only file that is there is the 4.8GB one, I did not check the file it had the name of the 4.8GB one I don't know for sure if it copied all of it too.

So, the question, What did I do wrong? My external device light is always on when plugged in. It is a USB Harddrive.
When I have copied a large amount of files to a USB Stick, I have had the same issue of missing files.
It does not seem to matter if I cut and paste or copy and paste, this seems to happen with large files or lots of files, like 20GB

In both instances, the prompt "Do not remove device it is being written to" had gone away or did not appear. I have always waited about a minute after asking to safe remove before removal.

Is this a Linux issue with copying large files? Or is this a user error and what can I do to prevent it.

fstjohn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Large file copy to external device issue

Post by fstjohn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:59 pm

Did you unmount the drive before unplugging?

Flemur
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Flemur » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Edit:
Did you unmount the drive before unplugging?
Good point! I was assuming he did that. Anyway...
Jedavis1975 wrote:I cut and paste to the external device the progress copy bar come up and when it finishes the bar goes away.
I then right click the icon on the desktop and choose safely remove.
When the Icon goes away I unplug my device, then get an error prompt about not being able to find a file. (it is late, I can reproduce this to get exact wording later)
I reinsert my drive and the only file that is there is the 4.8GB one, I did not check the file it had the name of the 4.8GB one I don't know for sure if it copied all of it too.
Are you on Mint 18.x Cinnamon? Your issue sounds like a variant of an issue with that combo which appears here too often.

One fix that worked - tho not for everybody - was to install and use the "xfe" dual-pane file browser for copying (large files/external). It doesn't deal with auto-mounting USB drives and such, but will see them after you mount them with your regular browser.

Verify the files are on the external device before disconnecting the drive.

I also do a "sync" in a terminal after copying, and before ejecting the drive - flushes the IO buffers.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Jedavis1975
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jedavis1975 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:04 am

I have Mint 18.2 MATE

I don't really want to learn the quirks of another file manager, so I will stick with what I have. I think it is Caja.
I also do a "sync" in a terminal after copying, and before ejecting the drive - flushes the IO buffers.
How do you "sync"? That could be a workaround.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:19 am

Jedavis1975 wrote:How do you "sync"? That could be a workaround.
Just type sync in the terminal.
Image ImageImage

pbear
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pbear » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:02 am

fstjohn wrote:Did you unmount the drive before unplugging?
That's one of the things Safely Remove Drive does.

Anyhoo, Jdavis, I'm baffled. I copy files that size with Caja all the time. Yesterday, copied 65 GB in VirtualBox VMs as a backup before upgrading the app. Then ended up copying back 8 GB today to restore one machine that got goofed up after the upgrade. Restored VM (copied twice) works fine.

Try replicating the error, this time (as Flemur suggests) checking to see what the destination drive reports before you remove it.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:21 am

i think you unplugged the drive before it was able to finish copying.

Jedavis1975
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jedavis1975 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:31 pm

On a guess, and due to other odd issues I just noticed on the drive, I decided to check it.

Since it is in NTFS format, as I use it to store Windoze tools, servicepacks and useful files, I had access to a windows system to run chkdsk on it.

It kicked back some errors, since they are repeating, after the scan, I will likely have to replace it. It has served me well and had a long life.

By the way, pbear. How did you upgrade Virtualbox?
when I click the deb to install like anything else, I get "...partial listed path/long_VBox_filename_amd64.deb 'provides it via: 'virtualbox' in a deb box on the deb install window

When I look in the software manager, I fee the same older version that I already have.

I really don't want to add it to a repository so updates with everything else, because sometimes updates break things. using the deb gives me the option to use a version that "works for me"

pbear
Level 4
Level 4

Post by pbear » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Jedavis1975 wrote:By the way, pbear. How did you upgrade Virtualbox?
when I click the deb to install like anything else, I get "...partial listed path/long_VBox_filename_amd64.deb 'provides it via: 'virtualbox' in a deb box on the deb install window

When I look in the software manager, I fee the same older version that I already have.

I really don't want to add it to a repository so updates with everything else, because sometimes updates break things. using the deb gives me the option to use a version that "works for me"
Look at Oracle's instructions and this forum topic (especially MintBean's scripts towards the end). If those don't answer your question, open a thread in Software & Applications, as it's fairly complicated. FWIW, I'm using 5.1.30, because 5.2.2 gave me trouble (hence the restore mentioned above).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

Return to “Newbie Questions”