[Feature Request] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (NOT EdgeExtension/WorkspaceSwitcherApplet?)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lockmartkyushu

[Feature Request] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (NOT EdgeExtension/WorkspaceSwitcherApplet?)

Post by lockmartkyushu »

Hello,

This is my first post, I really enjoy linux mint. Thank you so much for working on the great Cinnamon environment, it is very well written for DPI Fonts for poor vision.

Today, here is my question...

Is there a way to scroll through workspaces with the mouse by scrolling the empty desktop BACKGROUND area? Mate and Lxde do this, but I was wondering if Cinnamon can do this? I tried the desktop edge extension, and the workspace switcher extension and they work but I want to scroll the desktop (by scrolling on any empty spot in the desktop area) to change workspaces. (This helps me for full screen and 2 monitor setup).

Please see the below attached image so that you can see where I want to Mouse-Scroll on the Desktop, in order to move to a new Workspace.

Please help I have been stuck on this for a while. thank you so much!!!

Sincerely, and Respectfully;
Handicapped Association of LartCM Corp Staff.
Notice: (I work in division that contains blind/impaired people, so this will help us please.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Log of my Tests:

[*] 12/6/17 Made request to Linux Mint Forum users for help
[*] 12/7/17 Build a few Linux Mint Cinnamon and MATE VMs to test
[*] 12/8/17 Learned that linux mint cinnamon no longer works with compiz due to a gnome3 relational library reliance
[*] 12/9/17 tried to force it with compiz --replace, it does replace the desktop but the bars and everything dont work
[*] 12/10/17 i found some cinnamon extensions.. testing them doesn't work
[*] 12/11/17 <--- not sure but I did something which switched workspaces but it didnt switch windows along with it
[*] 12/12-12/15 debating if i need to code a extension with this. so far the linux mint forum users haven't recommended me with a support or development expert to assist with this. I will be patient and keep checking. Still Researching... Hope you guys can help me...
[*] 12/19/17 Put in a request to the forums.linuxmint.com folks to see if they will answer my question. Praying that they will see this post and help me with this problem.
[*] 12/20/17 Re-requested help from Linux Mint Forums, no results so far; I pray that someone can help me with this issue. Have a theory that it can be done with a extension but im terrified of coding now.
[*] 12/26/17 I cleaned up this threadpost on linux mint forums to make sure that the duplicate was removed. Im also making sure I can find out more on how to scroll the desktop with a extention. I now have a idea but I am terrified to code something or extension to do this... I pray that someone can help code this for me from the Linux Mint Forums...
[*] 1/1/18 Happy New Year Everyone!
[*] 1/18/18 I logged into to this forum but no one has responded yet :(. Very Sad. I clicked the "Bump Thread" Button
[*] 4/1/18 I logged in hoping to say April fools, but no one has responded to my thread. Do people see this question when I update it? Can someone please help me or direct me on how to contact the Linux Mint Team to fix this issue as either a addon or scroll mouse on desktop to switch desktop feature?
[*] 08/06/2018 Smurphos wrote a nice response, but requires using the keyboard; and xdotool doesn't work with wine apps. I need help from the Linux Mint Developers to allow me to be able to mouse-scroll the desktop to switch the active workspace. Please help guys... I dont know how to request help from the linux mint developers, whom are doing amazing things for the next post v19 release.
[*] 08/07/2018 I created a feature issue request ticket on linuxmint/cinnamon, and I really hope the developers can help with this. Please help :(
[*] 08/20/2018 Josephm, and Smurphos kindly wrote scripts to almost emulate a solution on page two of this forum. Unfortunately, it does not properly detect if the mouse pointer is placed over `nemo-desktop` before running xdotool, so it did not solve our problem. Im happy that finally some users were able to help me (since i have been waiting since 2017 for this to be helped from you guys), but unfortunately... this script breaks firefox and other applications from using the mouse-wheel, which causes our handicapped and carpell tunnel syndrome users to be affected, so we still need help... I hope you guys can help us.
[/color]

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@THREAD IS NOW SOLVED, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here is the SOLUTION:
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

=== Scroll Desktops via mouse-wheel in Cinnamon with xbindkeys and workspace-switcher.sh script ===

In a multimonitor setup, if your goal is to scroll anywhere on the desktop here is the script and process to do it:

* Run this command (Root):
sudo apt install xbindkeys xdotool wmctrl x11-utils

* Run this as your Local User (Run `xev` once to check mouse wheel up = 4, down = 5):
xbindkeys --defaults > $HOME/.xbindkeysrc
printf "#Next Workspace\n\"xdotool key ctrl+alt+Left\"\n b:4\n#Previous Workspace\n\"xdotool key ctrl+alt+Right\"\n b:5" >> $HOME/.xbindkeysrc

* vi ~/workspace_switcher.sh
#!/bin/bash
for PID in $(pgrep -f "workspace_switcher.sh"); do
if [ "$PID" != $$ ]; then
exit 1
fi
done
while :
do
while wmctrl -l | awk "/-1/ && /nemo-desktop/" || wmctrl -l | awk "/-1/ && /Desktop/"
do
DESKTOP_ID0=$(echo "ibase=16; $(wmctrl -l | awk "/-1/ && /nemo-desktop/" | cut -c 3-11 | tr a-z A-Z)" | bc)
DESKTOP_ID1=$(echo "ibase=16; $(wmctrl -l | awk "/-1/ && /Desktop/" | cut -c 3-11 | tr a-z A-Z)" | bc)
if [ -z "$DESKTOP_ID0" ] && [ -z "$DESKTOP_ID1" ] ; then
sleep 0.1
continue
fi
if pidof xbindkeys; then
kill "$(pidof xbindkeys)"
fi
while xdotool getmouselocation | grep -w "window:$DESKTOP_ID0" || xdotool getmouselocation | grep -w "window:$DESKTOP_ID1"
do
if ! pidof xbindkeys >/dev/null; then
xbindkeys
fi
sleep 0.1
done
sleep 0.1
done
sleep 0.1
done
* Add it to your startup, and reboot and try it out.
Last edited by lockmartkyushu on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Mattyboy

Re: How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (Not the edge extention or workspace switcher applet)

Post by Mattyboy »

The only way that I'm aware of is if you click on your "Workspace1" on the panel you can then 'scroll' between the four with the middle mouse wheel.
lockmartkyushu

Re: How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (Not the edge extention or workspace switcher applet)

Post by lockmartkyushu »

Since the Linux Mint MATE Desktop can allow you to Change Workspaces via Scrolling the desktop background, how can we make Linux Mint Cinnamon do the same behaviour? I really need this because I have 2 monitors. (I understand that there is a Workspace Switcher or Extention but these do not work in full screen.

Can anyone help? (I am positive that the older (very old) versions of cinnamon back in the day may have done this. Im positive that MATE does it, but how can we make Cinnamon 18.3, or 19 do this)
Last edited by lockmartkyushu on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Add the workspace-switcher applet to the panel. If you hover it you can switch workspaces by mouse wheel.
lockmartkyushu

Post by lockmartkyushu »

The workspace switcher applet will work but not for full screen. My goal is to mouse-scroll the desktop to switch workspaces. (Lxde, and Mate can do this, so I want Cinnamon to do it to). Is there a way to make a request to the cinnamon development team for this feature request?

Im still researching and have a idea... maybe the compiz can do it? I know that xfce + compiz, allows you to "wheel the desktop background" to switch workspaces. (Wheeling the background also is easier for me because i have carpel tunnel syndrome).

I wonder how we can make it so that you can use your mouse to scroll anywhere on the desktop background to change workspaces? (Not the switcher or edge, but the background area because it is very large). Does anyone want to help me figure this out?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Any specific reason why you're not using Mate, since this feature seems to be important to you?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lockmartkyushu

Post by lockmartkyushu »

Hello,

Because Cinnamon by default does a great job of DPI (for poor vision) :)

So im going to try doing this:

apt install compiz* ccsm*

and then see if ccsm can replace it and configure the background mouse scroll to change workspace?
lockmartkyushu

Re: [In Progress] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (Not edge extention or workspace switcher appl

Post by lockmartkyushu »

In order to keep this thread as helpful to everyone else I will update with my changes and findings. (I hope the developers can see this thread someday and allow this in the next Cinnamon version 18.4 or later)
lockmartkyushu

Re: [In Progress] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (Not edge extention or workspace switcher appl

Post by lockmartkyushu »

In Compiz, I have located the Desktop Wall Plugin.. this should allow Cinnamon to scroll when you scroll your desktop.

Here are the settings I used to use for Unity and Mate:

CCSM > Enable these four:

Desktop Wall (Then TO ALLOW MOUSE WHEEL BETWEEN DESKTOPS configure Desktop Wall > Wari Ate (Third Tab) > Move Within Wall > Move Next = Mouse Button 4/5)

Now... how to make Compiz work in Cinnamon... thats the problem, I dont know how to do this yet :(
lockmartkyushu

Re: [In Progress] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (Not edge extension or workspace switcher appl

Post by lockmartkyushu »

darn.... compix replace doesnt work :( :( :(

Based on my research the cinnamon window manager doesnt support compiz anymore. Maybe Failback? Essentially if we could get or modify the cinnamon extentions to support this... Im sure there has to be a way? Any developers know?
Last edited by lockmartkyushu on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: [In Progress] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (Not edge extension or workspace switcher appl

Post by Cosmo. »

Perhaps you get a quicker result by using the keyboard-shortcuts: ctrl-alt-arrow (left/right).
lockmartkyushu

Post by lockmartkyushu »

I wish there was a way to scroll the back ground area to move to the next workspace. There has to be a way to to this, I imagine.

Does anyone know how to do it ?

Does anyone know how to put this in as a feature request to the Linux Mint Development Team? It would be great if we could let them know about this.

How do we contact the developers or ask for support for this?
lockmartkyushu

Re: [In Progress] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (Not edge extension / workspace switcher apple

Post by lockmartkyushu »

Still need help, can you guys help me?

[*] I clicked the bump thread button...
lockmartkyushu

Re: [In Progress] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (Not edge extension / workspace switcher apple

Post by lockmartkyushu »

Hey guys its April now... does anyone know how to do this? :( I need help and no one is responding to this thread :(
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Ctrl-Alt-Left Arrow - next workspace
Ctrl-Alt-Right Arrow - last workspace

Ctrl-Alt-Up Arrow - expo
Ctrl-Alt-Down Arrow - overview

Surely easier than mouse scrolling - think of the RSI.

If you want to program something different maybe xdotool is your friend - http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/

Particularly - http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xd ... e_commands - the behave_screen_edge commands.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
lockmartkyushu

Post by lockmartkyushu »

Thank you kindly smurphos for trying to solve the problem, but this does not mitigate for our handicapped users who cannot use the keyboard.

We need to be able to scroll the desktop area to switch to another workspace. Xdotool will still not work on non x-based tool environments (think: wine applications etc), this is why we need the Cinnamon desktop to allow scrolling the desktop to change workspaces.

Can someone help me how to enable "Scrolling the desktop" to switch to another workspace? (I hope that the linux mint developers can see my post). Its been 8 months or so, and Im still asking for help. can you guys help?
lockmartkyushu

Post by lockmartkyushu »

Does anyone know? I wish I could contact the cinnamon desktop environment Developers :(
lockmartkyushu

Post by lockmartkyushu »

I created a feature request as well in the github, I hope that they can help us. My vision impaired users are still asking for this feature.

Here is the request I put in github too: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/7796
lockmartkyushu

Re: [Feature Request] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (NOT EdgeExtension/WorkspaceSwitcherApplet

Post by lockmartkyushu »

So far no responses on reddit nor from the official developers of Cinnamon man... this is hard :(

I wish someone could help us...
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: [Feature Request] How do I change desktops by scrolling the DESKTOP AREA? (NOT EdgeExtension/WorkspaceSwitcherApplet

Post by smurphos »

I came across this application the other day which I think should meet your needs.

apt install easystroke xdotool

Easystroke is a GUI app - find it in the menu once installed.

It allows you to use mouse gestures to run various commands (including xdotool commands to simulate key presses). In the example below I've made two gestures to switch workspaces left and right. To activate the gesture I'm using the middle mouse button. Hold and gesture.....

Doesn't necessarily need a empty area of desktop - you can gesture on top of a window.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Beginner Questions”