Whats the smallest device I can currently install Linux Mint on today?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Whats the smallest device I can currently install Linux Mint on today?

Post by Punchy71 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 am

Hi,
If I were to buy a new tablet PC with a matching keyboard or a new Netbook or some other similar NEW small, portable PC today, what would be the smallest device I could install and run Linux Mint on? Lets say I walked into a physical Best Buy store today to look at their display model hardware portable PC's, what would be the smallest that would most likely accept Linux Mint on it?
Thank you

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Whats the smallest device I can currently install Linux Mint on today?

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 am

At first I wanted to be an MP but now I think it would be crap.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Punchy71 wrote:... what would be the smallest device I could install and run Linux Mint on?
Define "smallest". Are you referring to physical size? If so, I would think it's not really relevant, as long as it supports the system requirements.

Currently, the system requirements for Linux Mint 18.3 are...
LinuxMint wrote:1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).
Joe

Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:50 pm

JoeFootball wrote:
Punchy71 wrote:... what would be the smallest device I could install and run Linux Mint on?
Define "smallest". Are you referring to physical size?
Yes, I'm referring to physical hardware size. By "small" I mean "most portable". So think physically compact, lightweight, and even thin hardware.

Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Interesting, but not quite what I had in mind. Think more like an ultra portable Netbook or Tablet PC with detachable matching keyboard.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Punchy71 wrote:Yes, I'm referring to physical hardware size. By "small" I mean "most portable". So think physically compact, lightweight, and even thin hardware.
As long as the device is of the x86 instruction set architecture, and meets the system requirements, I'd like to think it would run Linux Mint. I concede that I don't have any experience in doing so with anything smaller than a laptop.

Joe

Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Looking at Mate system requirements

Code: Select all

System requirements:

1GB RAM (2GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
15GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).
The first two can easily be exceeded in a device as small as a phone (same with the minimum processor).

Physical size would seem to be a matter of what resolution the screen is capable of displaying. It says 1024x768 but smaller resolutions are possible if you both have the ability to either use an ALT key or some equivalent to move incorrectly sized windows. Since grub is a default of 800x600 I'd say if you don't mind some windows needing special attention you can go that low. So what is the smallest screen size that can do 1024x768 or 800x600? And if you want to use a tablet without a physical keyboard can it either do the same higher minimum resolution or does it have a feasible work around for lower resolution? I don't know the answer to your question but I would think the answer to those concerns would give you an idea based on what you consider to be acceptable behavior.

Return to “Newbie Questions”