Access hidden directories / files with program (Beyond Compare) <SOLVED>

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
share3141
Level 2
Level 2

Access hidden directories / files with program (Beyond Compare) <SOLVED>

Post by share3141 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 pm

I have installed Beyond Compare (BC) onto Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. The program runs fine. I have a couple of text files in my downloads directory that I want to compare to a couple of files in one of my hidden directories (specifically the .Mozilla) directory). I can access the file in the downloads with BC without any problem but I can't find the hidden directories with BC. I know they are there - when I go into File Manager - there they are. Am I supposed to run BC with special rights or set myself up in the terminal as a super user? I know there has to be a simple answer.
Thank you.
Last edited by share3141 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dual boot Mint 18.3 Cinnamon / Windows 10 x64

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Access hidden directories / files with program (Beyond Compare)

Post by xenopeek » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:45 am

Hidden files have no special status other than the convention used by file managers and such to not show such files by default unless toggled (file managers have a menu option to toggle to view hidden files and usually a keyboard shortcut for it like Ctrl+H). You don't need special rights or super user or such. It's just that Beyond Compare makes this harder for you to do.

What doesn't work is clicking the "Browse for Folder" button to the right of the directory box. At least I couldn't find any way to make that show hidden directories.

What does work is selecting the parent directory in which the hidden directory is located. For example selecting your home directory if that is where it is. Then click the directory box and you can type at the end of it to add to it and press Enter to change to it. So if you've selected your home directory with the "Browse for Folder" button and the directory box displays /home/username you can just click on it and add to it like /home/username/[b].local[/b] or whatever.

What also works is starting bcompare from the terminal with as arguments the directories you want to compare:
bcompare ~/Documents ~/.local
That happily compares the contents of the Documents directory in my home directory (~ is expanded by the command interpreter to /home/username) with the hidden directory .local in my home directory.

share3141
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Access hidden directories / files with program (Beyond Compare)

Post by share3141 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Thank you - how very strange.
Dual boot Mint 18.3 Cinnamon / Windows 10 x64

Return to “Newbie Questions”