Best LM extra-security/Encryption apps/programs?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
AustinChristTexas
Level 1
Level 1

Best LM extra-security/Encryption apps/programs?

Post by AustinChristTexas » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:28 pm

I want to make LM even more secure. I am watched by many I suspect and I would like added layers of securing my system in any way possible via LM.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Best LM extra-security/Encryption apps/programs?

Post by jimallyn » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Did you encrypt when you did the install? It is possible to encrypt files and folders after the fact, but I have heard that it is best to do full disk encryption during the install rather than just encrypting a few files and folders later. Something about the way things get accessed when encrypted makes it faster if you do the entire drive. Of course you should enable the firewall (UFW) or at least enable the firewall in your router. You can use FireJail to limit access to the system. For example, if you run your browser in firejail, a vulnerability in the browser can only access those folder allowed by firejail. An attack might be able to affect files in the authorized folders, but it would not be able to get at the entire system. You should always install all Mint-recommended updates. Don't use Wine to run Windows programs, as Wine will run some viruses and malware. I'm sure there's more, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

NChewie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Best LM extra-security/Encryption apps/programs?

Post by NChewie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:08 pm

AustinChristTexas wrote:I want to make LM even more secure. I am watched by many I suspect and I would like added layers of securing my system in any way possible via LM.
I suggest you read the excellent guide given by Pjotr:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first

This has several topics that involve tightening your system to reduce vulnerabities.
Toshiba Satellite Pro C650-191 LM17.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”