Any feature similar to Windows paint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Any feature similar to Windows paint

Post by ICIT2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:25 am

I have been trying t use Kolourpaint 4 to illustrate pics to send to people but fin it is very limited to features such as arrows etc I have used Windows paint for many years now and wonde if anyone knows of any software within Linux software that I can use.

I have the screen shot feature which is very similar to snip in Windows so I am not bothered with that I just need an editing program for the picture captures.

Any tip would be appreciated.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it limits - Einstein

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Any feature similar to Windows paint

Post by jimallyn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:36 am

I searched in Synaptic for 'paint.' Lots of hits returned: gnomepaint, gpaint, mtpaint, pinta, tuxpaint, xpaint. This is in Mint 17.3. There are probably others.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:56 am

ICIT2 wrote:I have been trying t use Kolourpaint 4 to illustrate pics to send to people but fin it is very limited to features such as arrows etc I have used Windows paint for many years now and wonde if anyone knows of any software within Linux software that I can use.

I have the screen shot feature which is very similar to snip in Windows so I am not bothered with that I just need an editing program for the picture captures.

Any tip would be appreciated.
Hi ICIT2
I use Krita mostly, sometimes MyPaint, and, extremely rarely, Gimp, plus have tried Pinta very briefly. Gthumb (Packages) is my go to for general cropping and tagging.
I wouldn't try to tackle Gimp, as it's very complex. Mypaint is a simple app. Krita can be used quite straightforwardly if you just want to open an image, work directly or add a layer, do your own thing, and save, but has a lot of extra features also, which are out of the way unless you bring them forward. There's a forum too.
If you want to test Krita, it's best to download the latest appimage.
There are instructions on the MyPaint site for installing the latest version (nightly), but there's very little difference between that and the 1.2 version in Packages. A tip if you try MyPaint, which has some very nice brushes, as does Krita: click the little picture frame on the top bar, and then you can move it around and resize. Then in Tools, click 'Trim layer to frame' and you've got a normal canvas ... the cropped area is all that will be visible, and how it will look when exported.
Hope that helps.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
18.3 Mate 64bit
Radeon R9 255, Mesa 17.2.8, 4.15.0-13,
Lenovo x310, intel i7-4790, 16 ram,
Ugee 2150

For any advice I've been able to add, eg re graphics tablets, please search forum.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:01 am

For simple edits such as cropping, adding some text and adding a circle or rectangle, Pinta is my go-to application.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 am

Ok I shall give each of those a go and then resolve or not.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it limits - Einstein

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:56 am

If it goes about editing screen shots take a look at shutter, which has an integrated editor just for that purpose.

wallyUSA
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wallyUSA » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:58 am

ArtGirl wrote: Hi ICIT2
I use Krita mostly, sometimes MyPaint, and, extremely rarely, Gimp, plus have tried Pinta very briefly. Gthumb (Packages) is my go to for general cropping and tagging.
I wouldn't try to tackle Gimp, as it's very complex. MyPaint is a simple app. Krita can be used quite straightforwardly if you just want to open an image, work directly or add a layer, do your own thing, and save, but has a lot of extra features also, which are out of the way unless you bring them forward. There's a forum too.
If you want to test Krita, it's best to download the latest appimage.
There are instructions on the MyPaint site for installing the latest version (nightly), but there's very little difference between that and the 1.2 version in Packages. A tip if you try MyPaint, which has some very nice brushes, as does Krita: click the little picture frame on the top bar, and then you can move it around and resize. Then in Tools, click 'Trim layer to frame' and you've got a normal canvas ... the cropped area is all that will be visible, and how it will look when exported.
Hope that helps.
@ArtGirl: Love your detailed reply - has details about several programs. This can be a time saver. I bolded the program names to make it easier to read (for me at least). I have bookmarked for my future ref.

Like your rolling avatar!

Tara Cinnamon 3.8.9 Kernel 4.15.0-36 (64 bit)
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line.

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 am

wallyUSA wrote: @ArtGirl: Love your detailed reply - has details about several programs. This can be a time saver. I bolded the program names to make it easier to read (for me at least). I have bookmarked for my future ref.

Like your rolling avatar!

Thank you very much indeed, wallyUSA, and I'm glad that my post was helpful. There's some really nice brushes and features in the programs, plus I wish I'd thought of bolding the names, lol. Have fun trying them out! :)

PS The gif involved gifpal, compressor.io, iloveimg resizing, then postimages to upload it.
18.3 Mate 64bit
Ugee 2150

For any advice I've been able to add, eg re graphics tablets, please search forum.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 pm

Moem wrote:For simple edits such as cropping, adding some text and adding a circle or rectangle, Pinta is my go-to application.
Wow!

my new favorite Quick 'n Dirty snap and grab, resize editor.

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:39 pm

Yep well I am with Pinta right now as at least I an draw straight lines and make arrows with a bit of fiddling around what I was looking for was pre shaped arrows something like the circles and rectangles features. Th other feature text i would like to be able to move it after I have written it but am still trying to find a short cut to do that.

I want to try Inkscape too but it will not open for e as it looks to have more feature than Pinta. Plus I want to have a look at that Shutter software too but I am getting closer I think to something useful.

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:29 am

Krita and MyPaint both have straight line options too, with both having the button in the top or side bar ... just click it and drag ... but another option would be to save and open a transparent png from an online search, per arrow shape [choose 'small' as image setting is probably best, as I've done here]: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=transparent+p ... size-small. This is where MyPaint falls down, as any editing has to be done externally, so that leaves Krita. Other than opening clip art in Krita and manipulating it eg copy/move etc, I don't think there's anything else. I haven't tried Inkscape, so don't know if that has such options.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
18.3 Mate 64bit
Ugee 2150

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:05 am

I never knew that Pinta's line tool can also make straight and curved arrows, but I've just found out that it can. There's no end to the things you can learn in this forum! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:51 am

Moem wrote:I never knew that Pinta's line tool can also make straight and curved arrows, but I've just found out that it can. There's no end to the things you can learn in this forum! :D
That's great; lots of fun with lines and curves now! :D
18.3 Mate 64bit
Ugee 2150

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:17 am

ArtGirl wrote:lots of fun with lines and curves now! :D
I knew about those (they're pretty standard for any drawing program) but the arrows are new to me. So practical! :)

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am

Moem wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:lots of fun with lines and curves now! :D
I knew about those (they're pretty standard for any drawing program) but the arrows are new to me. So practical! :)
Cool, yes! :)
18.3 Mate 64bit
Ugee 2150

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Ok I have settled on sceenshot and Pinta for a Windows snip an paint type of set up in fact it is quicker to get pics back for posting in emails for example through Pinta . Straight arrows came as a result of fiddling around with the line and text feature icons but it would be real good if there were set arrows as in Windows paint if anyone has used that before so instead of it being just a tick arrow it would coem as a shape rather than single lines.

If I could write code like some I would ave a go at inserting something along those lines but Ima not that clever.

Now the only thing I would like to do is change the default font and size in the Text feature because it starts off with one called aakar and a very small font and I prefer the Gubbi at 12-14 when I am adding texts but cannot find a way to change that default.

So anyone have any suggestions please re the fonts?? :D

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:35 am

ICIT2 wrote: Straight arrows came as a result of fiddling around with the line and text feature icons but it would be real good if there were set arrows as in Windows paint if anyone has used that before so instead of it being just a tick arrow it would coem as a shape rather than single lines.
You could make an arrow image that you like, save it on your computer, and then paste it into your pictures when you need it. It's not as easy as having a predefined set of arrows under a button (which I agree would be useful) but it would get you the same result.

I thought the font choice probably works by alphabet, but that doesn't seem to be the case... since mine always starts with Arial which is not the first on my list, so I'm not sure what's up with that.

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:06 pm

I was just watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLF-1_66T6A and he's showing about the various line tools, one of which looks like it has the option to draw arrows (at 10:30 he opens up a menu on the bottom left, that shows lots of different line options, including various arrows. :)
I purely paint in Krita, so hadn't looked into the other options previously, but it looks like it may do what you need. I've just tried, but have no idea within Krita about any of the extra features/types of layers etc, but it could be worth asking on the krita forum or Mart on Youtube.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
18.3 Mate 64bit
Ugee 2150

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Moem wrote:For simple edits such as cropping, adding some text and adding a circle or rectangle, Pinta is my go-to application.
Wow!

my new favorite Quick 'n Dirty snap and grab, resize editor.
If you are resizing to insert in this forums posts then you should rethink that. A photo host will give better results. I use Imgr. It is "Quick 'n Dirty snap and grab" no resizing required. Here is a link.

There is no sign up and it is lightning quick to install a photo this way.
https://imgur.com/a/O6cdn

Last edited by Ozo on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArtGirl
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ArtGirl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks for editing my post, Moem. Good to learn how; I couldn't for the life of me work it out, lol. :lol:
Last edited by ArtGirl on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18.3 Mate 64bit
Ugee 2150

Return to “Newbie Questions”