Trying so hard not to return to Windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mjd300
Level 1
Level 1

Trying so hard not to return to Windows

Post by mjd300 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 am

The default file handling for editing HTML and .md files has got messed up. Previously I had VS Code as default HTML editor and Typora as default .md editor.

Firstly, the Open is now not connected to any application.

Secondly, each editors I used for HTML (Visual Studio Code) and .md (Typora) are not in the initial list when I right click. So I need to go to the list of applications every time (clicking remember this application makes no difference).

What's worse, if I right click on text or .md files, VS Code is there, and if I right click on HTML files, Typora is there. So somehow Linux Mint has managed to remove the one application that was used for each file type, yet show them for ones it was not used for.

What on earth is Linux Mint doing? Why such an insanely complicated and so easily-breakable system of file + application mapping?

I've been a die-hard Linux Mint user for about 2 years, hardly touched Windows 10 since. But it is getting ridiculous now. I've never been a fan of the OS TLC needed for Linux. But it has been worth it, to a point. For all the Window's bashing that goes on (which I've been involved in) I''m starting to see how smart MS were. They nailed productivity and eliminated these daft issues.

If anyone can help solve it, would be awesome.

Moem
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Trying so hard not to return to Windows

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:56 am

Hello, welcome to the forum; please scroll up a bit to the pink rectangle, and click on 'how to get help'. Edit your post accordingly and you'll get better results.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

thx-1138
Level 5
Level 5

Post by thx-1138 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:31 am

So somehow Linux Mint has managed to remove the one application that was used for each file type, yet show them for ones it was not used for.
...under your .config folder, there exists a mimeapps.list...you can set all types of file associations there:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/de ... G_standard

Also, at least in Mate (i assume something similar exists for Cinnamon / XFCE), in Control Center, there is a 'Preferred Applications' that you can use...
Why such an insanely complicated and so easily-breakable system of file + application mapping?
In Windows, when file extension' associations got mangled say by some crappy app or uninstaller, someone had to mess around with regedit and risk corrupting the whole registry...hardly optimal...

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Post by jimallyn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:42 pm

How to change preferred applications is different in different desktop environments. It would be helpful to know which DE you are using, and which version: 17.x? 18.x? People here are always happy to help, but you have to help us first.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Newbie Questions”