[SOLVED] No wifi now

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] No wifi now

Postby ICIT2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 am

I was testing MATE while a friend was testing Cinnamon and we both thought Cinnamon was best. So i burnt an ISO and installed it on the laptop where the MATE had previously ben and now the machine will only work on the net via an Ethernet connection. I have swapped back in an old Windows 7 drive an the wifi works perfectly. I have tried all manner of ways to get back the wifi because where I operate the machine is just out of the question for using a wired connection.

I have looked in the net connections and tried to add a wifi connection but it asks me for stuff that I have no idea about for example the SSID for the wifi and other settings that I have not a hope in heck of finding. Can anyone please help me before I give up and have to use the Windows again. What I don't get is why did the MATE version work and not the Cinnamon plus I am not so sure now the MATE would work in getting back the wifi connection.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it limits - Einstein

kc1di
Level 10
Level 10

Re: No wifi now

Postby kc1di » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:43 am

Hello ICIT2,

We will need a little more information about your machine to be able to help you. I take it everything was working in Mate? if so It means that the wifi card will work.
could you go to a terminal and type the following commands and post the results here (with code tags please)

Code: Select all

rfkill list

inxi -nn

iwconfig

thanks.

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ICIT2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:18 pm

Ok mate thnak sosmuch fo your reply as it is driving me nuts.

My machine is an Asus G650JM ROG laptop it has worked with wifi both in Windows before I swapped over the Linux and the first install was a 18.3 Mint MATE and the wifi worked fine then. As soon as I tried the Cinnamon because we decided it was better for out use the wifi just did not work. The machine like now is working with a drive with MATE on it but still have to use the cable connection it now will not pick up wifi.

I did think at first because the install was from a stick that the data was possibly corrupted on the stick but the drive I am using now was made in one of my desktops and still no wifi.

I did go to the screen where it said to set up networking manually with wifi and it wanted a lot of info such as SSID numbers/codes and other stuff frankly I have no idea about. What I don't get is why did that first install work with wifi and nnot now using a MATE installation.
I did all the updates while on cable thinking maybe the system missed something but still no go. I ran those instructions you gave me and the results are in the pic

If you need any further info please ask because it is essential I get wifi working on this machine and I do really appreciate you taking the time and having the patience in answering my query.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2017-12-07 10-04-56.png
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it limits - Einstein

turtlebay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby turtlebay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:29 pm

When you swapped over to Cinnamon you lost the wifi driver that had been installed under Mate (probably one time when you were connected to ethernet).

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ICIT2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Hello and thanks for your replies my friend but I have got it working now. The stick I installed form must have been corrupted or whatever and so I have installed Cinnamon onto the drive on another machine (one of my desktops) using a disk as it really is my preferred media for installs as I have to be honest and say I don't trust sticks.

I did the updates and stuff while on the desktop machine and then when I swapped the drive into the laptop and hit drivers there low and behold was the Broadcomm device - updated it entered the password for my modem and why the wifi is back on.

Whatever went on with the other installs is I am suspecting faulty install media but I do thank you for your replies you were most patient with an old fellow so used to Windows (and the débâcle it has turned into)

Now I can start enjoying Linux again
John :D

kc1di
Level 10
Level 10

Postby kc1di » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:33 am

Glad you got it going :) Enjoy.

Return to “Newbie Questions”