[SOLVED] What is that little box that opens when I start typing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sadhu
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] What is that little box that opens when I start typing

Post by sadhu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:47 am

LM18.2-64 Cinnamon

There is a feature, benefit, or bug (I can't figure out which) that has been bothering me since I started using Linuxmint three years ago. When I start typing, a little box opens in the bottom right of the screen.

This is especially irritating when I'm downloading a file, and have selected Save As... The save as window opens, and the given file name is highlighted, which gives the impression that I can simply type to replace the suggestion, as I can in so many other applications. But when I start typing, the little box opens and the text appears there, instead.

What is this little box? How is it supposed to be used? If I decide I never want to see it again, how do I get rid of it permanently?

TIA
-Sadhu
Last edited by sadhu on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 18.3-64 Cinn 3.4.6, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop: 4GB RAM; Dell Inspiron N4010, Core i3, 4G RAM Integr Gfx

Moem
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What is that little box that opens when I start typing

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 am

Can you click on it, or rightclick? What happens?
Can you provide a screenshot?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:59 am

In general: This is a search box.

There had been some discussions in the past, why it appears and if it makes sense. Nothing what you can AFAIK do about.

sadhu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sadhu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:15 am

Search for what? How is it supposed to be used?

I entered things like xed and /usr/bin/xed bui nothing happened, the editor program didn't start. Can't search for something on a page, because the focus has been stolen from the page I was on.

If someone could tell me how to use this thing, it might annoy me less.

Does anybody know somebody who actually USES it?

Cosmo, I'd like to see the discussions. What is this little widget thing called, what is it's name, so I can search duckduckgo? What programming group is in charge?

Thanks,
Sadhu
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LN 18.3-64 Cinn 3.4.6, Mobo: ASUSTeK STRIX B250G GAMING v, Dual core Pntm G4560, Intel Gfx. Laptop: 4GB RAM; Dell Inspiron N4010, Core i3, 4G RAM Integr Gfx

Moem
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 am

Again:
Can you click on it, or rightclick? What happens?

Wait... could it be the applet called 'internet search box' mentioned here? http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2017/07/recom ... namon.html
If that's the case just remove it from your panel, preferrably three years ago. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:40 am

You can read the discussion (1 year ago) here.

sadhu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sadhu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:44 am

Moem wrote:Can you click on it, or rightclick? What happens?
Just a little box. It goes away if you click somewhere else. Context menu has stanard cut copy paste. I get it to come up when I click the desktop and start to type.
Screenshot from 2017-12-06 16-59-59.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-06 16-59-59.png (9.01 KiB) Viewed 145 times
It's that little box with 'sdfasf" random keypresses.

I suspect it is a Linux widget similar to the human vermiform appendix at the beginning of the large intestine. Nobody knows why it's there or what it does, but it must be used for something, since it's there! And it can be a bother, sometimes.

-Sadhu

--PS: Thank you Cosmo, for the link.

Moem
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Moem » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:00 am

sadhu wrote:I get it to come up when I click the desktop and start to type.
Thanks for explaining. Now I could reproduce it. I guess I never click on the desktop...

sadhu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sadhu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 am

OK OK I get it now.

Some users have dozens of icons on the desktop. To save searching and squinting and going blind trying to read the labels or find the icons, they can click the desktop and start typing, and the icon with that name becomes highlighted. Desktop-Search, it's called.

However, it's a big buggy, IMO, in that it it can appear at inopportune times. In my case, when I've downloaded a file, clicked 'Save As', and the save as window opens with the highlighted default filename.

I just tested it and this is not happening now... I don't know what i'm doing differently...

Anyway, now I understand what it is and what it's supposed to do, so I will be able to use it properly.

I think I would vote to retain it, at this point.

-Sadhu

Return to “Newbie Questions”