What is "xed.desktop" and why was it on my desktop?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

What is "xed.desktop" and why was it on my desktop?

Post by flatiron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:43 am

I still cannot figure out how it got there. I deleted it. It was only a few kilobytes in size.

flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What is "xed.desktop" and why was it on my desktop?

Post by flatiron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:51 am

For some reason it is supposedly still on my desktop even though I cannot see it with ctrl H. confused? I tried making a new file to recreate the file type logo that was there when I first saw it. That was the only reason I noticed this.

flatiron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by flatiron » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:56 am

I tried replacing the invisible xed.desktop file with another file that I named xed.desktop. Neither file had the original logo of the original xed.desktop file. Anyway, I drug a new xed.desktop file to the home screen and used it to replace the invisible xed.desktop file and now the original seems to be gone. see images. While that so called original file does not have the same logo as the original, it is about the same size.
Attachments
xed 2.png
xed.desktop is already present.png

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 am

Can you post a screenshot of the contents of the Desktop folder using file manager?
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:16 am

Xed is your text editor. The thing you deleted was probably a launcher for it.
If you always respond to things you don't understand by deleting them, you're going to find yourself in big trouble one of these days.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:32 am

The problem is here, that your descriptions and the screen shots do not match. So how are we supposed to know, what happens there and what you are doing.
flatiron wrote:I tried replacing the invisible xed.desktop file with another file that I named xed.desktop.
The screen shot says clearly, that the files in question are named "Text Editor", obviously something different than xed.desktop.
flatiron wrote:now the original seems to be gone. see images.
I see no image, which shows that.
flatiron wrote:it is about the same size.
And here is the most evident contradiction. The screenshot tells about a file with 8.4 kb and another one with 0 b. "Same" is something different.

Perhaps it helps, if you right click the desktop (empty place), call the terminal and enter inside ls -la and paste the output here - as text, not as a picture.

Return to “Newbie Questions”