Unable To Access Files On Windows 10 Share

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gil_happy
Level 1
Level 1

Unable To Access Files On Windows 10 Share

Postby gil_happy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Hello, I'm unble to connect to a Windows 10 Home share from Mint Linux (Cinnamon 3.6.6 Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia). In Mint, under 'Network', I can see my Windows PC. When I double click on the icon for my Windows PC, it asks for username, Domain, and Password.
username: I entered my Mint Linux username
Domain: Was automatically polulated with 'WORKGROUP'
Password: I entered in my Mint Linux password

Once I clicked on 'Connect', it listed 5 items. Since I shared my entire 'C' folder from Windows, I see both a 'C' and 'C$' (these are 2 out of the 5 items).
- When I click on 'C', it throws an error saying 'Unable To Mount Location'
- When I click on 'C$', a box pops up indicating 'Password required for share c$ on deskop-xxxx'
- If I choose 'Anonymous' and then 'Connect', it will not connect
- If I choose 'Registered User', it is asking for username, Domain and Password.

I 'think' I have tried both my Mint Linux credentials and my Windows 10 credentials (and a combination) and I'm unable to connect to the c$ (which I assume is the correct location to connect). AFAIK, my Windows 10 PC is not part of Workgroup and I have turned on file and printer sharing and then allowed 'Everyone' full permissions for the Share in Windows.

There is a another thread that is similar to this, but I'm unable to figure out what the problem is.
viewtopic.php?t=231383

Any help is great appreciated!

martyfender
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable To Access Files On Windows 10 Share

Postby martyfender » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 pm

I don't have a Windows 10 PC, but recent updates to it did away with SMB 1.1 and I believe it uses SMB 2.0 plus.
Search for renabling SMB 1.0 or 1.1, (I don't remember which) in windows 10. There is a Micrsoft link on how to do it.

I'm not sure if this will help, or not It has helped some Android user of a great Android file explorer, access their Windows 10 shares, per the Android Mixplorer xda forum thread. You can find that thread by searching for "Mixplorer xda'.

gil_happy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unable To Access Files On Windows 10 Share

Postby gil_happy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Thank you for this... I guess I should have stated that the purpose of this exercise was to be able to copy folders from my Windows PC to my Linux PC as I will be returning my Windows PC back to the original owner.

I'll just use WinSCP to copy from my Windows PC to my Linux PC - transfer is currently in progress.

Return to “Newbie Questions”