New User, how to choose kernels?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kenw
Level 1
Level 1

New User, how to choose kernels?

Post by kenw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:01 pm

I have been using PC-BSD but I am not impressed with the change to TrueOS so I thought I would try something new.
Prior to using BSD I had been a user of Debian and Ubuntu.
I am running Linux Mint on an HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF.
Is there a tutorial any where with regard to choosing and using Kernels with Linux Mint?
Update manager shows I am using 4.10.0-40 but it shows 4.11 and 4.13 Kernels are available.
Ken

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: New User, how to choose kernels?

Post by Pjotr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:39 pm

As long as your kernel series is still supported with updates, and as long as all your hardware works well, you can safely stick to your current kernel series. :)

The 4.10 series is still supported, so no problems....

As an aside: under certain circumstances it can even be a reasonable choice to stick to an outdated kernel, because the security implications are usually limited.

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about Update Manager in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20
Last edited by Pjotr on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:46 pm

The general rule on updates in Linux is: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And a lot of people don't update a kernel unless they have new hardware that requires a newer kernel. That said, there are lots of people who always update everything and never have problems with it. I update kernels now and then, and I always leave at least one older, known-working kernel installed, just in case.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:33 pm

If you update the kernel within the series you are currently using, you "should" be fine. The newest in the 4.10 series is 4.10.0-42. Kernel series 4.10 will continue to get security updates till February 2018. After that, if you want to keep your kernel up to date security wise, then you will need to switch to a different series.

The link below may interest you. (Note: Kernel version numbers are in parenthesis.)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Support# ... el_Support

kenw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenw » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Having looked at the link and read the posts I now understand how it works.
Ken

Return to “Newbie Questions”