No Internet connection after being forced to a malware site

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: No Internet connection after being forced to a malware site

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote:you might want to increase the security of your web browser by running it inside a secured sandbox.
Just an fyi for the OP. I use flashpeak slimjet and it installs its own sandbox.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you deleted your internet connection as you said you did, the nameserver would have been reset to default. DELETE your current internet connection
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

brutto07 wrote:To Coffee412: Now that looks promising! But I have a maybe typical newbie (and dumb) question: how do I fix that in Network Manager and how do I know what name server to use, that is, what address to use?
To test the solution just change the setting in the /etc/resolv.conf like this:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
replace the ipaddress with googles DNS of 8.8.8.8

So it should read "nameserver 8.8.8.8"

Then hit control -X and save

Then see if you can ping www.yahoo.com . If you can your problem is confirmed as a DNS setting. Go into network manager (Im on mint mate desktop) and fix your DNS setting. Should be 'auto' for the DNS. The network manager will rewrite the /etc/resolv.conf file so your changes there are not permanent.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
brutto07

Post by brutto07 »

To WharfRat: Well it happened to me. But on the other hand I have never been sure about that this is the source of my connection problems. Maybe it's all a coincidence.

Anyway I have now been working with the Network Manager trying to replace the faulty nameserver (10.4.0.1) with the nameserver of my internet provider (213.80.98.2). But even if I, as a newbie, really don't know what I am doing, it seems almost impossible. No internet connection. And every time, after having made some change in the Network Manager, I run "cat /etc/resolv.conf" the nameserver is still the same (10.4.0.1). As the client "eddie" is mentioned in the output from "cat /etc/resolv.conf" I have removed it, but with no result for my problem. So is there some other things I can do?
brutto07

Post by brutto07 »

To coffee412: sorry, I wrote the former before I could read what you saying in your post. Of course I will try that and post the result
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

brutto07
I also use AirVPN
My output of

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
is

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by Eddie v2.13.6 | https://eddie.website

nameserver 10.4.0.1
I would suggest check & make sure you have the latest version of Eddie installed
My Internet works fine generally however...
I have had problems when I update mint then Eddie has connection problems & I find my installed Eddie is out of date
good luck
brutto07

Post by brutto07 »

I have tried to post this some hours ago but it never showed up in public? So here is another try.

To Coffee412: It worked!! Thank you very very much! (I'm using the formerly unconnected computer to post this) :D

And thanks to all of you who have tried to help me! Linux Mint forum is an excellent place to be when you'r in trouble.
Just one last (newbie) question: Is there any point in replacing Google's nameserver with the one offered by your internet provider?

To Moxie: That's kind of weird that you got the same output as I did? And it is all the more weird if your internet is working as 10.4.0.1 presumably isn't a working nameserver? I had the latest version of eddie installed (which I removed). It seems as something is wrong with the linux version of the latest version of eddie?
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

Not weird at all if I am correct
It seems to me that (airvpn)Eddie is a private connection to their servers and once connected airvpn (Eddie) uses a internal (private)server for DNS
if so they could use any private address they wanted & even duplicate the address at many locales

to check leaks Airvpn has this web page
https://ipleak.net
I am sure there are others
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

brutto07 wrote:I have tried to post this some hours ago but it never showed up in public? So here is another try.

To Coffee412: It worked!! Thank you very very much! (I'm using the formerly unconnected computer to post this) :D

And thanks to all of you who have tried to help me! Linux Mint forum is an excellent place to be when you'r in trouble.
Just one last (newbie) question: Is there any point in replacing Google's nameserver with the one offered by your internet provider?

To Moxie: That's kind of weird that you got the same output as I did? And it is all the more weird if your internet is working as 10.4.0.1 presumably isn't a working nameserver? I had the latest version of eddie installed (which I removed). It seems as something is wrong with the linux version of the latest version of eddie?
Didnt mention that you were using a VPN for your connection. But the google DNS will work just fine. You can also put in your ISP's DNS address if you want. However, It really shouldnt make much of a difference really. I find that ISP's DNS servers are always over taxed anyways. So, I choose other free DNS servers to work with :)

Glad I could help you out. Hope you have a great weekend.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
brutto07

Post by brutto07 »

To Moxie: I suppose you are right. Have reinstalled Eddie and all works just fine!

To WharfRat: Have sent you a PM concerning the "malware site".

And once again, thanks to all!

Return to “Beginner Questions”