Wow, Samba is horribly slow and NFS appears pretty complicated

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gene0915
Level 3
Level 3

Wow, Samba is horribly slow and NFS appears pretty complicated

Post by gene0915 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:24 am

So I was using Grsync to backup my newly built Plex server (with 14+TB of data) to my old Windows box and whoah..... I was seeing only 35-50MB/s xfer rate! :( Then, I looked into NFS and sheesh, setting that up seems like I have to edit 400 ini files and create shares and map them from the client to the server and it's just not as easy to set up as Samba.

I just want a quick way to copy files off the Plex server (Mint 18.3) to a Windows 7 box. I've tried several tips/tricks/smb.conf editing types of fixes over the past few hours with no luck. Most made things worse so I just put everything back to normal. Reading around, it seems this is just a known problem with Samba and Windows 7. I booted my backup box with an Ubuntu drive and Samba was still slow copying to it.

Am I going to have to buy a Synology and backup over USB if I want 100MB/s backup speeds?

Return to “Newbie Questions”