[SOLVED] How to remove fonts unrelated to the OS language?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eucalyptus

[SOLVED] How to remove fonts unrelated to the OS language?

Post by Eucalyptus »

Using LinuxMint Cinnamon 18.3, kernel 4.10.0-42, language selected during OS installation = English

Whenever there is a selection of fonts, the list of available fonts is huge. 90% of the fonts are for foreign languages.

I don't remember what I did to install these fonts. May be they came with some software when I added through software center. Can you please show me how to uninstall the un-needed fonts?

Thanks in advance

Maybe this is an acceptable solution. Disable the unwanted fonts using Font Manager as suggested by Cosmo (and avoid reboot by catweazel)
Last edited by Eucalyptus on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to remove fonts unrelated to the OS language?

Post by thx-1138 »

...you can find and remove foreign language fonts from either Software Manager or alternatively from Synaptic (Package Manager). A quick'n'dirty method would be to run this on a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru fonts-nanum fonts-noto-cjk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-guru-extra fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-tlwg-* fonts-lohit-* fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-kalapi fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-samyak-* fonts-navilu fonts-nakula fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-telu-extra fonts-wqy-microhei
It should get rid most of the non-latin fonts, if not all...
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Better not remove any fonts that came with the default installation of Mint. They're expected to be present and might be used in unexpected circumstances. What's to gain by removing fonts anyway? :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The endless list of useless fonts (e. g. east-Asian for western Europeans or Americans) is really annoying, if you want to the switch the font e. g. in Writer and want only to see the fonts, which do really make sense for you. A more secure way to get rid of them is disabling them instead of removing them, so that you can easily check, what has been disabled, and revert in case, something goes wrong. Disabling fonts can e. g. be done with the font-manager.
Eucalyptus

Post by Eucalyptus »

Pjotr wrote:Better not remove any fonts that came with the default installation of Mint. They're expected to be present and might be used in unexpected circumstances. What's to gain by removing fonts anyway? :wink:
In some applications, where you need to configure your preferred font. For example, try to change the display font in your terminal (please try it!). The list of fonts which is displayed is very long and most of them are not useful (I can't read Tibetan or Khmer languages). With some patience I can still find the font I need. If an application or system stops working because of a not-needed font is missing, well I guess that the developer better needs to focus on learning how to program rather than playing around with fonts.

The rational of my question was rather:

- Why fonts outside of my choice of OS language are installed?

- I can appreciate that maybe it's better to install all fonts in the world. But then who is the person who decided an arbitrary list of languages to install? For example, Hieroglyph, New-Papua-Guinea, Native Americans, Sign languages, etc. are missing. For your enjoyment, do you know that you are missing most of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... ing_system
Last edited by Eucalyptus on Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eucalyptus

Post by Eucalyptus »

thx-1138 wrote:...you can find and remove foreign language fonts from either Software Manager or alternatively from Synaptic (Package Manager). A quick'n'dirty method would be to run this on a terminal:

sudo apt-get remove fonts-kacst fonts-kacst-one fonts-khmeros-core fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-guru fonts-nanum fonts-noto-cjk fonts-takao-pgothic fonts-tibetan-machine fonts-guru-extra fonts-lao fonts-sil-padauk fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-tlwg-* fonts-lohit-* fonts-beng fonts-beng-extra fonts-gargi fonts-gubbi fonts-gujr fonts-gujr-extra fonts-kalapi fonts-lohit-gujr fonts-samyak-* fonts-navilu fonts-nakula fonts-orya-extra fonts-pagul fonts-sahadeva fonts-sarai fonts-smc fonts-telu-extra fonts-wqy-microhei
Oh wow, that's a good trick. Is there a way to get the list of the installed fonts?
Saw that fc-list can do the trick as shown in this article Quickly list all available fonts. Not sure if it's the only way. If you have better trick, please share. Thanks
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Eucalyptus wrote:
thx-1138 wrote:Oh wow, that's a good trick.
Not quite good enough though. The font cache should be rebuilt after removing all those fonts:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Eucalyptus

Post by Eucalyptus »

catweazel wrote: Not quite good enough though. The font cache should be rebuilt after removing all those fonts:
Super cool, this avoids a reboot. Overall, the low-tech solution is good enough (disabling fonts using Font Manager). I have updated my original post to include the answers. Thanks.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Eucalyptus wrote:Thanks.
You're most welcome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [SOLVED] How to remove fonts unrelated to the OS language?

Post by thx-1138 »

Saw that fc-list can do the trick as shown in this article Quickly list all available fonts. Not sure if it's the only way. If you have better trick, please share. Thanks
Not a 'better' trick, as it doesn't give you the name of the each & every 'individual' font installed, but a simple way of getting the names of the installed packages responsible for the fonts available in your system...

dpkg -l | grep fonts
You can then feed the names of the unwanted non-latin font packages in apt-get remove...
Not quite good enough though. The font cache should be rebuilt after removing all those fonts:
I won't argue with that - however (without wanting to sound pedantic), i believe that nowadays fc-cache is run automatically 30 seconds after uninstalling a font from the system. Meaning, no reboot required. But yes, manually ensuring that the font cache is rebuilt is certainly recommended and for sure doesn't hurt...
LarryTheLamb

Post by LarryTheLamb »

You might want to include "fonts-smc-*" to the list.
I don't know if it is mint 19 specific but it is in my build for some reason.

Larry
Last edited by LarryTheLamb on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

LarryTheLamb wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:23 am You might want to include "fonts-smc-*" to the list.

Larry
Please read the forum rules. Don't necrobump old threads.
LarryTheLamb

Post by LarryTheLamb »

OK, I did not know this rule. However, it is not that old and is one of the first answers spat out by the search engine so I figured it might help others looking for this advice.
If you don't want people to "necrobump" you should automatically close and archive what you consider old threads not princess about people using the system as it is designed to be used!

Larry
n0body_special
Level 3
Level 3

Post by n0body_special »

I found this thread really useful, I doubt I would have without it having been bumped
Windows is the world's biggest virus.
UEFI is a Microsoft sponsored boot sector hijacker.
Android is the world's biggest spyware.
But most importantly: Google. Is. Skynet
pg11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pg11 »

thx-1138 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:49 pm ...you can find and remove foreign language fonts from either Software Manager or alternatively from Synaptic (Package Manager). A quick'n'dirty method would be to run this on a terminal:

Thanks! It is very helpful.

Return to “Beginner Questions”