[SOLVED] How to extract .tgz files to specific destination

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skivelitis
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to extract .tgz files to specific destination

Post by skivelitis »

I would like to extract the contents of a .tgz file to: /var/lib/boinc-client/rake.boincfast.ru_rakesearch. I have no problem extracting the files to my desktop, but am not sure how to move them further. TIA

Mint 18.2 Xfce.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
2 :Lenovo i3 2120(HT)@3.3GHz with 4GB RAM , nVidia GTX 950 2GB Mint 18.3 Xfce 64bit
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to extract .tgz files to specific destination

Post by karlchen »

Code: Select all

sudo tar -xvf /complete/path/to/tar.gz.file.tar.gz -C /var/lib/boinc-client/rake.boincfast.ru_rakesearch
Note:
/complete/path/to/tar.gz.file.tar.gz is a placeholder and has to be replaced by the real path- and filename.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
skivelitis
Level 1
Level 1

Re:[SOLVED] How to extract .tgz files to specific destination

Post by skivelitis »

Thanks, karlchen. Worked like a charm!
2 :Lenovo i3 2120(HT)@3.3GHz with 4GB RAM , nVidia GTX 950 2GB Mint 18.3 Xfce 64bit
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] How to extract .tgz files to specific destination

Post by karlchen »

You're welcome, skivelitis. :) ~ Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "skivelitis",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

The "boinc" software v7.6 is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), or you can use the console terminal command below. Where did you get this archive file, because that does not seem to be their preferred installation method?
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Install ... _on_Ubuntu

sudo apt-get install boinc-client boinc-manager
Anytime you work outside of your home folder "/home/YourUserName/..." then that requires "root" permission like "sudo" or "su".

All editions of Linux Mint including Xfce have built-in desktop GUI archiving applications for ".tgz", ".zip", ".7z", etc...I think Xfce uses the "Archive Manager" (file-roller), but "Engrandpa" and other archiving applications can be installed as well. "PeaZip" is a great one too. You could use these to extract the contents of an archive file to wherever without using the console command prompt.

Also, if you extracted the archive file to your "/Desktop" folder, you can easily move it using your file manager to wherever you want like another folder or underneath another folder. If the destination folder is a "root" folder, then you might have to enter in your system user password, or open your file manager as "root".

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
skivelitis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skivelitis »

Greetings. phd21! Always nice to see a fellow cruncher here. I am using BOINC version 7.6.31 via the synaptic. The .tgz file I was attempting to extract/install is an optimized app for the Rakesearch project created by user daniel of team BOINC@Poland. There is a link in the number crunching section. It provides what appears to be a 10x or so speedup and is available for Windows and Linux in multiple instruction sets from sse2 - avx512. All indications are it works at least as well as promised!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "skivelitis",

Greetings to you too ...

I have not been using "Boinc" since I switched from MS Windows to Linux. But, I always liked the project concepts, helping to solve scientific problems through distributive computing.

My current ancient computer hardware does not allow for much more than what I already use it for. So, I do not know if the Boinc software would slow it to an unacceptable performance level, or if it will only work in the background when I am not using my computer. I assume you can choose which projects a user wants to help with and other options like before.

I could not find any link to this RakeSearch software, can you please provide that link? Also, does this software provide a boost in Boinc's computing power or is it just to solve the "search for orthogonal diagonal Latin squares" which seem pretty useless too me compared to looking for answers to medical and other scientific questions that Boinc is normally used for?

Update: I just found this...
Installing RakeSearch through Boinc
http://rake.boincfast.ru/rakesearch/join.php?old=1

Install BOINC on this device if not already present.
Select Tools / Add Project. Choose RakeSearch from the list, or enter http://rake.boincfast.ru/rakesearch/

If you're running a command-line version of BOINC on this computer, create an account, then use boinccmd --project_attach to add the project.
Regards ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "skivelitis",

As I stated before, It has been awhile since I installed and used Boinc.

But, I did install it. I find it easier to use one of the Boinc project account managers like "Bam!" or "Gridrepublic", sign up on their web page, pick and add the projects, and then tell the Boinc application to connect using that login information for that Boinc Account Manager. This worked perfectly. Note: There are projects outside of these Boinc Account Managers that can easily be added "Tools -> Add Project", like the RakeSearch project.

Account managers - BOINC
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Account_managers

I then went into "Add Project" and at the bottom pasted the URL "http://rake.boincfast.ru/rakesearch/" that you were interested in, and it asked me to login or create a new account, then it connected.

I still do not see how this will improve Boinc's processing and it did not ask me to download anything nor did I see anywhere to download anything like an archive file you mentioned? Can you send me a link to that archive file?

Hope this helps ...
Boinc_1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skivelitis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by skivelitis »

Sorry for the slow response time, sometimes life gets in the way ;)

The app in question will not speed up BOINC as a whole, only the RakeSearch project app itself.
It can be found here: https://github.com/sirzooro/RakeSearch/ ... s/tag/v1.0

The relevant forum thread at the RakeSearch project site can be found here: http://rake.boincfast.ru/rakesearch/for ... .php?id=39

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any other BOINC related questions. Although far from an expert, I am willing to provide any help I can.
P.S. You certainly picked two of the best bio/medical projects out there in WCG and Rosetta! If you are looking for a team to join, please consider team BOINCstats!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "skivelitis",

I checked out your links, found the files and their forum with your post in that.

In my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system, after adding to Boinc the RakeSearch project, these instructions worked for me. Notice the folder location is different than their instructions. (I used "locate boinc" to find the installed Boinc projects folder)

Update 12-14-2017 09:00 pm: I originally used the GridRepublic Boinc Account Manager which did not seem to have as many projects available (although you can add them through the Boinc software), so I decided to try the Bam! Boinc Account Manager which does seem to have more projects available, including your RakeSearch project.

su -

cd /var/lib/boinc-client/projects/rake.boincfast.ru_rakesearch

wget https://github.com/sirzooro/RakeSearch/releases/download/v1.0/rakesearch_linux_64_avx.tgz

tar zxvf rakesearch_linux_64_avx.tgz

exit
restart your computer, or at least logout and log back in.

There is also a test archive for benchmarking as well.

I was wondering if the RakeSearch project would automatically install this as part of using the Boinc software, in that downloads section?

skivelitis wrote:P.S. You certainly picked two of the best bio/medical projects out there in WCG and Rosetta! If you are looking for a team to join, please consider team BOINCstats!
Thanks, I agree. I never did understand the Boinc teams, what benefit is there to join them?

I found my previous project account with WCG (World Community Grid), is there a way to merge that with my new WCG account?

Also, after reading how well the new code works for this project, I am going to post a comment and or feature request on their forum to add this to the general Boinc software, if that can be done to speed up processing for other projects as well.

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”