broken passphrase / reveal active passphrase on open LUKS [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
confrused

broken passphrase / reveal active passphrase on open LUKS [SOLVED]

Post by confrused »

My LUKS encrypted volume on an external drive is open and accessible in Linux Mint because I choose "Remember forever". However, it seems likely that *I* have not 'remembered forever' because I am unable to unlock it after I shutdown LM and then boot into Ubuntu. My question is, how can I find out what the passphrase is? It seems that should be possible since I have access to it in LM, I am hoping.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: broken passphrase / reveal active passphrase on open LUKS

Post by Mute Ant »

LUKS itself uses the pass-phrase you enter, adds 'salt' and mashes it up thousands of times, to slow down automated guessing. That result applied to the 'wrapped-master-key' regenerates the 'unwrapped-master-key' needed to unscramble the data. None of that is supposed to be reversible and I am assuming it isn't... you can't use a 'cold' LUKS without an acceptable pass-phrase.

With a 'warm' LUKS, the master key is in RAM somewhere, but not the pass-phrase.

I would consider it a very dodgy implementation if the pass-phrase can be reverse-engineered from what's stored by 'Remember Forever', but I have never gone looking. It is your Mint desktop doing the remembering, so...
A: Which version of Mint are you using? 17, 17.1, 17.2 ... 18.3
B: Which desktop has remembered the pass-phrase? KDE, Cinnamon, MATE or XFCE?
confrused

Post by confrused »

LM 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit
4.8.0-53-generic
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

If you boot and log in to the Mint that has remembered the LUKS passphrase, then start the program seahorse it can show you the original passphrase.

[guess]The passphrase is remembered in the file ~/.local/share/keyrings/user.keystore encrypted using your login password.[/guess]
confrused

Post by confrused »

Seahorse did it. Thank you !
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Hurrah! If you edit the title of your original post to include Solved other readers will find it, and other members won't try to answer it.
confrused

Post by confrused »

Yes, I would like to do that! I can edit my title above for this reply, but how do I edit the original title?

Return to “Beginner Questions”