Problem installing Brother printer driver in Linux Mint 18

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lesmorss
Level 1
Level 1

Problem installing Brother printer driver in Linux Mint 18

Post by lesmorss » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:01 am

When I try to install the printer driver for my Brother MFC-J5901DW all-in-one, it "upgrades" a large number of new libraries and the OS subsequently refuses to reboot the desktop. OS is Linux Mint 18 but I've had the same problem with other Ubuntu based OS's. The PC is an Acer ES1-512-C5YW.
Can anyone suggest a way to get the OS booting properly and share similar experiences? Thanks Les

Moderator: split from another topic. Best to create a new topic rather than add on to one that's over 6 months old.

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Problem installing Brother printer driver in Linux Mint 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:24 am

There are instructions for installing Brother printers on Pjotr's Easy Linux Tips Project site:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15

There is a LOT of good stuff on that site. When you've got some spare time, wander around and have a look. Ordinarily we don't recommend that people go looking on the web for how to do stuff in Mint, the forums is usually best for that. But Pjotr is a long time and well respected member of the forums, and everything on his site is good.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

lesmorss
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem installing Brother printer driver in Linux Mint 18

Post by lesmorss » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try
Les

Return to “Newbie Questions”