memory allocation error [will have to go back to 18.1]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArtGirl

memory allocation error [will have to go back to 18.1]

Post by ArtGirl »

Hello, a memory allocation error is coming up when I try to run a Playonlinux game, which then closes, locking the system at using 4.5 gig of ram. Game ran perfectly on 18.1, and had run perfectly again on 18.3. I have ia32-libs installed, and can think of nothing different except that when I entered my wifi password, a password reset message came up, which I understand is to do with how the system 'bridges' from my usual home password to encrypted home [thanks fabian], and I've also added in kernel 4.4 after realising the main kernel I use doesn't get security updates after Feb 2018.

I've reinstalled ia32-libs, rebooted, etc, and don't know if this is something to do with home not being accessed fully, Timeshift, the system not liking the 4.4 kernel, or a hardware failure beginning. Effects are off, and I have /tmp on tmpfs, which hasn't caused problems before. I've just removed the 4.10 kernel, but, running 4.11-14 and the latest 4.4, the error is still happening. :?

Would much appreciate advice. Thanks.

EDIT: have returned to 18.1, as couldn't finish rest of installs, and was worried about any other problems coming up. Games running fine there.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: memory allocation error

Post by Hoser Rob »

What's the game? Bear in mind that Wine (or playonlinux or other wine front ends) is not reliable, Most apps fail. Try searching on the wine app database ... if you search "linux wine <app name>" it should be at or near the top of the list, If it isn't rated Gold or better it won't work properly.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ArtGirl

Re: memory allocation error

Post by ArtGirl »

Hoser Rob wrote:What's the game? Bear in mind that Wine (or playonlinux or other wine front ends) is not reliable, Most apps fail. Try searching on the wine app database ... if you search "linux wine <app name>" it should be at or near the top of the list, If it isn't rated Gold or better it won't work properly.
Thanks, Hoser Rob. Have edited first post, as I thought I'd said there'd been no issues on 18.1, or on 18.3 before now. I've installed 18.1 again, so will see how that goes.

Return to “Beginner Questions”