Boot Install Linux Mint DVD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amc

Boot Install Linux Mint DVD

Post by amc »

I am abandoning Vista on an older computer & wanting to try Linux Mint. The hard drive has been dban. I have tried several times to make a Mint install boot dvd (USB in not a boot option) but they are not recognized as a boot disk. I do have boot utility cds that are recognized.

This is what I did on the last attempt. On a Windows 10 computer I went to this site https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=238. I used the University of Oklahoma mirror site to download this ISO file linuxmint-18.2-cinnamon-32bit.

I downloaded & opened ImgBrn program. I clicked on “Write image file to disc”. Found the file & clicked “open” & then clicked on “Write”. The burn was successful.

The message I get whenever I try use the disk is “disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.”
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: Boot Install Linux Mint DVD

Post by michael louwe »

@ amc, .......
amc wrote:...
Best to use DVD+R discs, and not DVD-R or DVD+-RW discs. Burn speed should not be more than 4X - recommended is 2X.

When I used Imgburn, I browsed to the location of the LM ISO file, double-clicked on the file(not open it) and then click Write.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

michael louwe wrote:@ amc, .......
amc wrote:...
Best to use DVD+R discs, and not DVD-R or DVD+-RW discs. Burn speed should not be more than 4X - recommended is 2X.

When I used Imgburn, I browsed to the location of the LM ISO file, double-clicked on the file(not open it) and then click Write.
I've read that in the USA, it's better to use DVD-R than using DVD+R.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have used both+ and - . Sucessful on both.
Definitely select but do not open the iso before the write.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi amc and welcome to the forums.
This is a link to the new Linux Mint Installation Guide for creating a bootable DVD:
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html
Either DVD-R or DVD+R is fine as long your Optical drive is compatible with that type.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
amc

(Solved) Boot Install Linux Mint DVD

Post by amc »

I am able to boot into Linux Mint. I used a combination of the suggestions offered.

There was a newer release (18.3) that I downloaded. I used dvd+r (I had been using dvd-r).
I set Imgbrn to write at 2x & double clicked on the file to select.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Great!

Return to “Beginner Questions”