Update Manager Issue.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Update Manager Issue.

Post by InkKnife »

I have an issue with the update manager in Mint 18.3.
In prior versions when all the updates have been applied according to the policy I set I would get the up to date check mark on the update manager's applet in my panel. But now, if there are any updates outside my policy available I get the blue updates available indicator.
This is irksome and means I have to manually check if there are in fact updates for me. Is there a way to get things back to the old behavior?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Update Manager Issue.

Post by Pierre »

what did you do to set that update policy?

most folks would just let the system updater, do it's auto thing, without any interference . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

This is at least the third report of this problem in the last 2 or 3 days. I verified that the problem exists on a VB install of Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
cogsncogs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cogsncogs »

Updated from LM Cinnamon 18.2 to 18.3 today and this issue shows up for me as well. If any update is visible, but not selected, the applet is blue, showing that there is an/are update(s) available.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Pierre wrote:what did you do to set that update policy?

most folks would just let the system updater, do it's auto thing, without any interference . .
In the update manager you can select from 3 policies.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Confirmed here. A bit annoying.... If I want to leave that level 4 security update alone for a while, I'd rather not have the "updates available" notification.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

@InkKnife - - I've tending to forget about that area, as it really a Set & Forget Thing.
:D
as mine is set to "Don't Break My Computer"
& likewise - I'm always getting some 'extras' every other day
:o
so, I've changed it to the middle one - - "Optimize Stability and Security"
- bet it still gives those 'extras' every other day, though.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ogknig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ogknig »

Same here
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

You could just remove the update applet and see no reminders. Install it periodically for a peek or just wait for the next edition of the os and never need to look at all. :) If it ain't broke don't fix it.
David Brown

Post by David Brown »

In my case, Update Manager shows cinnamon-nemo as a possible update (the only one in the list). I'm using Mint 18.3-Mate, not Cinnamon. Even more, I'd added cinnamon-nemo to my list of blacklisted applications. I still get the blue shield icon in my panel. Is there any benefit to installing cinnomon-nemo in a computer running Mate?
markht
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markht »

David Brown wrote:In my case, Update Manager shows cinnamon-nemo as a possible update (the only one in the list). I'm using Mint 18.3-Mate, not Cinnamon. Even more, I'd added cinnamon-nemo to my list of blacklisted applications. I still get the blue shield icon in my panel. Is there any benefit to installing cinnomon-nemo in a computer running Mate?
I just updated to Mint 18.3-xfce and I was offered the cinnamon-nemo update, which seemed strange because xfce does not use nemo.

This update is for the package libnemo-extensions1. This package is installed according to the package manager, so I went ahead and applied the update.

Return to “Beginner Questions”