Need a newer xorg server for Nvidia card

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
IST
Level 1
Level 1

Need a newer xorg server for Nvidia card

Postby IST » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:37 am

Hi,

I'm a new linux mint user. Sadly, using my nvidia card results in really bad screen tearing. I've contacted nvidia support, and apparently this issue is long fixed with the xserver 1.19.x releases.

Being a linux noob I have no idea how to fix this, but I realize that even my latest Mint uses 1.18 which still has this issue.

I'm tempted to try other distros like manjaro that already has 1.19, but I'm afraid of unstability of the system. I don't like when things break :).

So is it possible to have 1.19 on the current release without breaking my system?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Need a newer xorg server for Nvidia card

Postby xenopeek » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 am

Step one would be to let others know a bit more about your system, so you can get useful help. Please open the terminal program from your menu and run this command (mind the capital F):
inxi -Frxz

Copy the output from the terminal and share it here (you can select and copy text from the terminal through its Edit menu). This way others can see exactly what graphics card you have (as Linux knows it) and what driver you're using with it and some other basic system info.

There likely will not be a Xorg update to your current Linux Mint version. That would be with Linux Mint 19 mid next year. Hence the question to provide some additional information so others can give you relevant answers as to how you could go about it (use a different driver, perhaps add on of the edgers PPAs, or some other solution).

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mr_raider » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:32 pm

It is possible to do so. Mint uses an Ubuntu base and users of 16.04.1 can migrate their whole graphics stack using HWE stacks.

The command is here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Be warned that once you install the HWE you would have made significant alterations to your base system. I would recommend that you systematically apply all updates of all levels from there one.

This process is irreversible. If you have timeshift installed, make a backup.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 pm

According to the Mint roadmap, they were intending to release instructions on this in the Mint 18.3 release notes, although seemingly they never landed.

Return to “Newbie Questions”