[SOLVED] After installing Mint 18.3. screen freezes after suspend

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

[SOLVED] After installing Mint 18.3. screen freezes after suspend

Post by carum carvi »

I previously used LinuxMint 18.1. and I never had problems with screen freezing after suspend.

I did a brand new install of linuxmint 18.3. Cinnamon and after suspend the screen freezes. And the internetconnection is gone. The mouse can still move around but nothing reacts when I click on it. Only Ctrl Alt Backspace works.

With Ctrl Alt Backspace I can get out of the frozen screen and I am directed to the login screen. But only if I press the suspend button in this loginscreen the screen freeze problem and the internetconnection problem is solved.
When I dont select the suspend button in the login screen, the screen stays frozen and the internet connection is still gone.

I have installed nothing extra. I have only downloaded a new theme for the desktop called black eleganse
I dont use it anymore. I just use the standard desktop theme available in linuxmint cinnamon 18.3.

To make things even more dumbfounding, sometimes the screen DOES NOT freeze after the first time I select suspend, but it DOES freeze after the 2ND TIME I select suspend.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carum carvi

Re: After installing Mint 18.3. screen freezes after suspend

Post by carum carvi »

I have gone back to LinuxMint 18.1. Cinnamon.
Problem with frozen screen after suspend is solved because in LInuxMint 18.1 Cinnamon there are NONE problems with freezing screens whatsoever. Smooth sailing in 18.1 Cinnamon
Mute Ant

Re: [SOLVED] After installing Mint 18.3. screen freezes after suspend

Post by Mute Ant »

If I can insert a quiet tech-free whinge. The Ubuntu 1604 Xenial family seems to be more fragile than the Ubuntu 1404 family. I try a legitimate system operation, like remounting a partition, and suddenly it's system-frozen no keypresses. It is very tempting to blame the fundamental change to systemd, but I can't. Debian 9 uses Linux 4.9 and systemd and it all works... I say mount it and it mounts. I am too old+lazy+cynical+incompetent to do Ubuntu's work for them, but one day soon I am going to bin Ubuntu like I binned Microsoft... I just don't need an OS that can stop working like that.

Return to “Beginner Questions”