Which version is best

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Cripple73
Level 1
Level 1

Which version is best

Postby Cripple73 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm fairly new to the Linux mint OS and have been using the cinnamon version, dual boot with windows 10, just wanting to know if I should try any of the other versions? I'm running on an Asus zenbook?

Pjotr
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Which version is best

Postby Pjotr » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:50 pm

There is no "best" version. All are good. It's mainly a matter of taste. :)

The lightweight Xfce edition is best for weak hardware, though.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JoeFootball » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Cripple73 wrote:...just wanting to know if I should try any of the other versions?

If you're looking to determine which version is best, then yes, you should try the other versions, as you're the only one who can determine what's best for you.

In my experience, choosing a desktop environment (e.g., Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, Xfce, etc.) is like choosing an overall distribution (e.g., Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, etc.). No one is universally better than the others, as it primarily depends on one's personal preferences, and perhaps hardware limitations as well.

Also note that you're not limited to choosing one version of Linux Mint, as it's possible to install multiple distinct instances of each on one hard drive.

Lastly, while technically possible, I would avoid mixing multiple desktops on a single deployment of Linux Mint.

Joe

michael louwe
Level 6
Level 6

Postby michael louwe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Cripple73
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Cripple73 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:25 pm

JoeFootball wrote:
Cripple73 wrote:...just wanting to know if I should try any of the other versions?

If you're looking to determine which version is best, then yes, you should try the other versions, as you're the only one who can determine what's best for you.

In my experience, choosing a desktop environment (e.g., Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, Xfce, etc.) is like choosing an overall distribution (e.g., Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, etc.). No one is universally better than the others, as it primarily depends on one's personal preferences, and perhaps hardware limitations as well.

Also note that you're not limited to choosing one version of Linux Mint, as it's possible to install multiple distinct instances of each on one hard drive.

Lastly, while technically possible, I would avoid mixing multiple desktops on a single deployment of Linux Mint.

Joe

Thanks Joe,
I am debating whether to remove windows 10 completely as I never use it anymore, my zenbook runs a SSD drive so not huge storage for multiple boots!

JasonStonier
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JasonStonier » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:47 pm

My personal favourite is Mint Mate. I tried Cinnamon and XFCE, and for my average hardware, Mate has been the best performance / looks / usability ratio for me, which includes running a few games in Steam For Linux.

There are one or two things that annoy me about it, but on the whole it meets everything I need, and it certainly beats Windows Spyware Edition on all counts.

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Postby jimallyn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Which version is best? My favorites are Cinnamon and XFCE. I have a fairly powerful desktop computer at home, and I run Cinnamon on it. I also have an older laptop, which is relatively puny, and I run XFCE on that. I have installed XFCE on older laptops for friends, and it works well. When a friend wanted Linux on an older laptop, I installed, one at a time, Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE, then examined RAM usage. XFCE uses the least memory, then MATE, then Cinnamon. The difference between XFCE and MATE is about 200 MB as I recall, and the difference between XFCE and Cinnamon is about 400 MB. When the laptop only has 2 GB of RAM, I'll use my RAM for something other than just running the desktop.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Newbie Questions”