TimeShift Question ...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

TimeShift Question ...

Post by Pepi »

Let's say I'm backing up my TimeShift backups. If I would install a new install of Linux Mint 18.3 could I just run TimeShift and point to my backup of TimeShift and then have a system like the backup captured?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: TimeShift Question ...

Post by trytip »

if you install 18.3 mint and you use timeshift to restore a 17.3 snapshot your system will now be 17.3 so if you have a new version of mint you'll need to delete all your older snapshots, unless you want keep them in case you decide to go back to your older version of mint
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

trytip wrote:if you install 18.3 mint and you use timeshift to restore a 17.3 snapshot your system will now be 17.3 so if you have a new version of mint you'll need to delete all your older snapshots, unless you want keep them in case you decide to go back to your older version of mint
I wasn't clear like always :mrgreen: I guess what I meant was could you use the TimeShift backup to setup a new hard drive (CLONE) for your existing computer. From what you said above you can 8)

Sure nice program TimeShift is
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you could probably do that ONLY you would need to edit a few things in the backup folder of timeshift like the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and the /etc/fstab to coincide with the new partition UUID. i'm sure there a a few more complications but can't think of them ATM

Timeshift will not make a good portable clone backup to transfer to a new computer. Clonezilla is still the recommended program for that

Return to “Beginner Questions”