Newbie and drivers (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
digitalemigrant

Newbie and drivers (solved)

Post by digitalemigrant »

Hello everyone, I've been getting to know linux mint, and linux in general, and i'm starting to get the logic behind linux, but i'm still far from being as skilled as i am on windows, so far i understand how to install or search for software or navigating around my system using the terminal, but what haven't figured out so far is isntalling drivers from github, i need the drivers for my dwa 171 usb wifi thingie, found the following driver for it on github, and as you can probaly guess my question is this how the hell do you install this driver?

https://github.com/ulli-kroll/rtl8821au

Thank you for your time
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Newbie and drivers

Post by Pierre »

Building and install driver

for building type
make

for load the driver
sudo insmod rtl8821au.ko

You need to install the needed fw with
sudo make installfw

If you need to crosscompile use
ARCH= CROSS_COMPILE= KSRC=
while calling make i.e.

make ARCH="arm" CROSS_COMPILE=armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi- KSRC=/home/linux-master modules

that's the bit about building / compiling the supplied code base.

Now, if you can't understand, any of that, then that's not surprising at all.
- this stuff is not for any N00Bs

but, quite often, you don't need to get this involved, as sometimes you can get a PPA,
or a similar set of files, to load the required driver(s).
- yep - - there is one heck of a lot of Google / Bing / Yahoo / etc - involved here.
:(
and I've been there too, on the sound card, for my latest purchase.
:roll:

Did You do any research on that WiFi Dongle,, before You Bought it ?
- to check it's Linux compatibility,, if any ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
digitalemigrant

Re: Newbie and drivers

Post by digitalemigrant »

Thanks for your reply, funny thing, five minutes after posting it I figured it out, what happened was that i ran the commands rebooted and nothing seemed to happen, looked for the wireless but I didn't find it, i posted my question and almost as soon as i clicked submit the blue light on the wifi adapter turned on and was working... too late to cancel the post. thanks for your time!

Return to “Beginner Questions”