LM17.2 reboots to Ubuntu14.04 splash screen after update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DLLJJ

LM17.2 reboots to Ubuntu14.04 splash screen after update

Post by DLLJJ »

I am at a loss here.

My Acer AIO with LM17.2 Cinnamon shows an Ububtu 14.04 splash screen (purple screen with shite text and strobing dots) after software updates, sequence as follow:-
[The Acer has ATI Radeon graphics card]

10Dec'17
Ran update manager. I was not able to update pidgin, evince, and 2 other programs (can't remeber now).
The machine was rebooted, LinuxMint splash screen (black screen, green text-LimuxMint with strobing dots) crypt pasword entered and then only a black screen with a non-blinking curser.
Searched the forums and fixed the machine to login after fglr was removed and re-installed in terminal via GRUB. Had an issue intitially to mount a drive but the process resolved it. The machine worked fine.

11Dec'17
I tried to view a picture with ImageViewer and the program did not respond.
Checked for the program via Software Manager to remove and re-install but it was not listed.
As it was still visible from the menu, I right clicked to uninstall.
A small screen appeared indicating the packages to be removed...this is when things went pear shaped.
After that Software manager, synaptic manager, update manager, banshee, firefox, thunderbird, gnome terminal, pdfchain and many other more programs were unistalled.
Strangely another terminal program was now installed. I only remember it has an X in it.
I reinstalled all the missing programs, this was still in the LM17.2 Cinmn desktop environment.
Rebooted the machine and now I am with the situation as intitially noted with the inclusion of the following message: [25.767173] snd_hda_codec: module had bad taint, not creating trace events. The disk drive for /dev/mapper/mint--vg-swap_1 is not ready or not present.

I tried to skip or mount this but to no avail.

Does anyone have a "silver bullet" here that I can do from root via GRUB2?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”