Update manager 4 level updates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexnetdoc

Update manager 4 level updates

Post by alexnetdoc »

Hi,

Recently I have received the updates for Kernel at level 4, though my System is set to check only for safe updates. If it's a security update, I should still install it? Just don't want to crash my stable system lol

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Update manager 4 level updates

Post by Laurent85 »

Update Manager by default shows packages tagged as security updates, you can change this behavior in preferences > Options tab, unselect Always show security updates.

LM developers would tag suggested security updates differently for a critical security update, so I guess you can ignore it if you value stability top priority.
alexnetdoc

Post by alexnetdoc »

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. But could you destroy the system with such updates? Security updates seems serious to me :)

Br,
Alex
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YES - - both in theory & in practice - - you sure could.

if you wish to be more conservative, then stay with only Level Three Updates,
& if you wish to be Very Cautious, then only install Level One & Level Two updates.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
alexnetdoc

Post by alexnetdoc »

Thank you, I have set not to show security and kernel updates. I want my system to be stable :)

Br,
Alex
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you create a restore point with Timeshift before applying updates, you can revert, if anything goes wrong. So you get both - security by applying updates and stability (by reverting if needed). It can even be discussed, if with TS the level system is still needed, but a better integration between TS and the update manager (and some other tools) would be needed at first.)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Cosmo. wrote:If you create a restore point with Timeshift before applying updates, you can revert, if anything goes wrong. So you get both - security by applying updates and stability (by reverting if needed). It can even be discussed, if with TS the level system is still needed, but a better integration between TS and the update manager (and some other tools) would be needed at first.)
Now that would be a giant change.... :shock:

I definitely wouldn't want to miss the protective level system of Update Manager, Timeshift or no Timeshift. In my opinion, the level system is the crown jewel of Mint, especially because of the fine-grained control options it offers. Timeshift is too much "all or nothing". A giant axe instead of the surgical knife of the level system.

But an integration of Timeshift into Update Manager is a very good idea. This might be a button to press, before you install any level 4 updates.... I'll try to get the attention of the devs for your idea.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I did not say, that this should be done, but that it is worth to discuss. Actually my experience with TS not older than LM 18..3, but from my first impressions it seems to do what it is expected to do. I tried it yesterday with a number of level 4 updates, created a restore point, applied the updates, rebootet (one of the updates was for the kernel), restored the saved point and came back to the point where the updates had been again offered.

There might be indeed exist a potential problem: The case, where after an update the system is not more able to boot into the account. I have not yet investigated into the question, how a restore with TS can be done from a virtual console or from the recovery console. But one thing appears clear for me: With TS the risk of breaking the system by updating is much lower than in the past. Problem might be, that it is at now to cumbersome to launch TS before updating (or installing or uninstalling packages). There is room for improvement.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

I just managed to get the attention of Clem on IRC. Unfortunately, Clem doesn't think it's a good idea to integrate Timeshift into Update Manager:

Code: Select all

<pjotr> It might be useful to integrate timeshift into mintupdate. So that before installing any level 4 updates, you can press a button to make a snapshot with timeshift.
<pjotr> clem, mtwebster: what do you think?
<clem> hi pjotr 
<clem> I think it's overkill
<clem> setting up timeshift is something recommended in both mintreport and the installation guide now
<clem> so we'll assume you've got automated snapshots in place
<clem> that should mean you've got a restoration point from your current boot and one from today/yesterday
<pjotr> clem: OK... Well, I must admit that I haven't set up timeshift yet, myself. I suppose that I'm not the only one.... Perhaps a button in mintupdate would help to underline the importance of having a timeshift snapshot?
<clem> it would but that's mintreport's job
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

For the time being one could add TS to the favorites in the menu or to the quick launcher applet (in Cinnamon); problem is, that both of them are usually at the far left of the desktop and the update manager more or less at the far right site.
alexnetdoc

Post by alexnetdoc »

Thank you for all the replies. I hope timeshift does not take any big space to make snapshots. If it's only 1-2GB it's fine by me, I can clean older ones. :)
Found some info about the application:
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

If I am not really sure about a level 4 update I leave it alone until after doing my weekly backups.

BTW, I will look at TS this weekend to see if it works well with striped LVM. Thanks Cosmo!
alexnetdoc

Post by alexnetdoc »

I am actually using Systemback and I have created LIVEBOOT USB with it and also created a system image for my laptop so I can recover to the current state even if I will change HDD to SSD.
one more thing I like about Systemback is that my Lenovo Y520 wifi drivers are blocked in the original liveboot usb, so it's benefit for me to have my own livebood usb in order to re-install Linux Mint when I want it

Alex

Return to “Beginner Questions”