HP 5510 Printer - Settings Conflict

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

HP 5510 Printer - Settings Conflict

Post by micksulley »

Running Mint 18.1 Cinnamon and CUPS 2.1.3
I have an HP PhotoSmart 5510 printer scanner. It has been working fine for a while but today I want to print some photos from Image Viewer. In the printer dialogue I can select Image Quality as High-Resolution Photo but I then see a warning "Some of the settings in the dialogue conflict". Going through the other settings I see that it is Paper Type which causes the conflict, but the only options are "Plain Paper" or "Transparency Film". I assume that I need to select Photo Paper, but that option is not there.
How can I set it to print high quality photos?
I'm happy to use some other package to print if that helps.
Thanks
Mick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: HP 5510 Printer - Settings Conflict

Post by deepakdeshp »

Does choosing plain paper option give good results?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by micksulley »

No, it prints and it is OK but noticeably darker than the display on screen.
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by micksulley »

It's been a while since I opened this and I still have not resolved it.

I have also tried installing the HP driver software, a most frustrating experience. That does allow me to select photo paper, but then it fails with error code 1, "lpdr -P HP-Photosmart-5510-series -o page-set=all". I have just replaced all the cartridges with genuine HP ones, it all looks good but doesn't work.

Can anyone help with this please?
Mick
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by micksulley »

Just tried installing following that link. If I select print from an application, eg xviewer, it uses CUPS and allows me to select plain paper or slide transparency. They give very poor results on photo paper.
I can also open the HPLIP Toolbox, there I can select photo paper, but any attempt to print fails. I ran it from a terminal and this was the output

Code: Select all

mick@MintDesk18-1 ~ $ sh -c 'STARTED_FROM_MENU=yes /usr/bin/hp-toolbox'

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.11)
HP Device Manager ver. 15.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error:  Print command failed with status code 1.  lpr -P HP-Photosmart-5510-series -o page-set=all "/home/mick/Documents/Pictures/Album/tmp/PIC20180512T134226.jpg" 
mick@MintDesk18-1 ~ $ 

Return to “Beginner Questions”