Setting up Autostart

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

Setting up Autostart

Post by nsivin »

I am trying to set up an application in Autostart in Linux Mint 18.3. I have an old not that says I go to System, Preferences. But where is System? I can’t find it in the Control Center, the File Sytem, etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin
WharfRat

Re: Seting up Autostrat

Post by WharfRat »

It should be the menu category Preferences/Startup Applications
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Setting up Autostart

Post by jimallyn »

Whenever you ask questions, you should state which version of Mint you are using. Besides the number version (18.1, 18.2, 18.3, etc.), There are also 4 different desktop environments available (XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, KDE). And where the settings you are looking for will be depends upon which desktop environment you are using. If you don't know which version you are using, open a terminal and type inxi -S.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nsivin »

I am using Linux Mint Mate 18.3.

Setup, Desktop
End PC Noise custom AMD Fusion Media PC
AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz quad-core CPU
4GB Kingston PC3 RAM
2 Intel 520 series 120GB SATA III SSD
Lenovo 24” pivot monitor
Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboard
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

OK, I installed Mint 18.3 MATE in VirtualBox and checked it out. Click Menu, Control Center, scroll down to Personal, then click Startup Applications. Click Add, and add whatever you like.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

As jimallyn said, open the Startup Applications Preference window from the Control Center. For further directions click the Help button at the bottom. However, the directions are a little lacking when it comes to adding an application and filling in the command box of the Add Startup Program window. The specific command may not be obvious.
Add Startup Program.png
One way to get the command is to go to the Menu and find the specific application you want to add to the startup process, CherryTree for example. Right click on that app and select Edit Properties. The Launcher Properties window for the app will pop up. From there you can copy over the Name, Command, and Comment to the Add Startup Program window.
Launcher Properties.png

Return to “Beginner Questions”