Need for an zipper SW with password protection [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Need for an zipper SW with password protection [SOLVED]

Post by 52ROSt »

LM 17.3, 64, KDE

I placed this question under Newbie Questions because in this matter I feel like newbie just born.

In Windows I used winzip and 7zip to compress and encrypt the archive with a password. Was simple, just worked as I needed.

In LM I installed ARK, which compresses files and folder nicely however I cannot password protect the archive.

I looked at Kleopatra but understand that this is a handler for certificates and not to password protect files or folders.

I also searched SW Manager and in the web but did not find something I understand and can use in LM. Somehow I feel I am to blind - could also say to stupid - to find what I need.

Question: What is a tool in LM with which I can password protect files and folders?

I am very grateful for your helping me in this newbie matter.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Need for an zipper SW with password protection

Post by catweazel »

7z --help
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wallaroo »

Assuming Dolphin is your file manager, try this ..
Right-click on the file or directory you want to compress and select 'Compress' -> 'Compress To', select type as 'application/zip' and there you will see an encryption with password option.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

For encrypting archives you need to install the package p7zip-full.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

I checked with the packet manager and see that p7zip full is installed.

When I use ARK, I can create 7z archives but I never could password protect their content.
Do I make something wrong when using the ARK GUI?
Do I need to password protect the archives always with a command line?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't know, if KDE has something similar to file-roller or if this can be added in KDE.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

@ Cosmo
Thanks for the hint with file-roller. This is what I was looking for.

I could install it using the SW Manager without any problem.
I found a very good help file: https://help.gnome.org/users/file-rolle ... ex.html.en

Additional hint for newbies like me: Not all file formats can be password protected. 7z works fine. Just find out by selecting various formats and see if the password functionality is grey or black.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Need for an zipper SW with password protection [SOLVED]

Post by 52ROSt »

@ wallaroo
Right-click on the file or directory you want to compress and select 'Compress' -> 'Compress To', select type as 'application/zip' and there you will see an encryption with password option.
I tried your proposal as well, however in my case a possibility to set a password does not show up. Am I missing a SW package? Reading in KDE's ARK manual I did not find any hint for a password.

But thanks for your hint!
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wallaroo »

52ROSt wrote:@ wallaroo
I tried your proposal as well, however in my case a possibility to set a password does not show up. Am I missing a SW package? Reading in KDE's ARK manual I did not find any hint for a password.

But thanks for your hint!
Hi 52ROSt,
Bit of a mystery.
I was doing this using Ark in KDE in Kubuntu which has these options. I went back and had a look at Ark in KDE in Mint and you're right, these options are not there.
I don't know if maybe Ubuntu added the extras or not.

Kubuntu uses Ark 4.16, it looks like Mint uses version 4.14 - maybe that's the difference.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

52ROSt wrote:Reading in KDE's ARK manual I did not find any hint for a password.
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kdeutils/ark/ark.pdf

Page 9.
If you create a zip, rar, 7zip [or] jar archive you can protect it with a password.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

@wallaroo
I also tested kubuntu about 2 years but decided to use LM for my work-hores PC. From my kubuntu tests I thought that ARK provides a password. However, I never was sure if I remember that correctly and thought, I was wrong when ARK in LM did not have a password. Thanks for your comment.
Now, it would be interesting to see which ARK version is provided in LM 18.3. KDE?
Or is there a chance that LM's repository for 17.3 will get a newer version of ARK, the one with the password?
ARK is beside the missing password, a great archiving tool which I like a lot.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

@catweazel

Thanks for the link. this is a different manual compared to what I looked at.

Now I would like to have the right ARK version!!!!

What 's a safe way to get this newer version?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

52ROSt wrote:What 's a safe way to get this newer version?
There is no safe way. If you download a version for anything other than Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial), you're likely to end up with package dependency issues.
52ROSt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by 52ROSt »

@catweazel

Thanks for your remark on stability. I was afraid that I will get such an answer.

OK, one cannot have all. I rather have LM 17.3 with an older ARK version than going back to a Windows machine.

Return to “Beginner Questions”