pulseaudio woes.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

pulseaudio woes.

Post by winoseti »

for sometime now I have got used to updating after upgrading versions.
usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11

(((Edit the file:

/etc/pulse/default.pa
and comment out (with an # at the beginning of the line) the following line:

#load-module module-bluetooth-discover
now edit the file:

/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11
and after the lines:

if [ x”$SESSION_MANAGER” != x ] ; then
/usr/bin/pactl load-module module-x11-xsmp “display=$DISPLAY session_manager=$SESSION_MANAGER” > /dev/null
fi
)))
great this was and gave me a2dp functionality in all mint17x-18x...but someone in the pulseaudio world has decided to remove hsp/hfp support from pulse audio so when I change from a2dp to hsp telephony I have no microphone or connection. would have thought that rather than removing functionality before separate modules are written for hsp/hfp it would have been oh so practical to leave functionality in pulseaudio until said modules are written?! and then release P8.
Can someone tell me what version of pulse audio maybe V7 has functionality for hsp.??? Definitely pulseaudio8 is a deal breaker for me. as far as sylvia goes. need hsp bigtime.
Can pulseaudio7 be installed rather than P8.?? can you roll it back with the new features in sylvia?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Re: pulseaudio woes.

Post by winoseti »

okay now even blanking out bluetooth discover in etc dafault.pa and loading it in usr/bin works.
so I have zero BT audio and zero hsp telephony...great.
what I have discovered is that
1. BT via bluez4 has no problems.
2. BT audio via bluez5 is a no go
...but the headphones are recognised. The bluez folks thought it woulsd be better supported by individual modules downtrack.
3. someone actually has written a patch which powerusers(not me) can install and get bt a2dp audio and hsp telephony.
4. pulseaudio1.8x for ubuntu is based on pulseaudio 8(which doesnt have hsp connectivity?maybe) ...but by pulseaudio10 and 11 there is hsp/hfp support.

regards to the bluez folks and bluez4 ...if it aint broke dont fix it.
regards to the folks that bought us pulseaudio 1.8xubuntux we are waiting for a version based on pulseaudio10 or 11 for obvious reasons.
well done all.
now to study the patch which is quite an install and a feat.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winoseti »

okay round three.
I have installed the pulseaudio bluetooth module.

and have got a functioning BT sound system. via a2dp. albeit it requires manual connection each time.
hsp is outta the question and I guess we wont see it until the ubuntu pulseaudio is upgraded to the pulseaudio10-11 standard.
pulseaudio8 which pulseaudio1.8x ubuntu is based on.... doesnt cut it as far as HSP/hfp goes.

I'll wait.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winoseti »

not to mention bluez5x which no longer seems to work with hsp connection. downgrading to bluez4 has some dependency issues.
ubuntu is using 5.37. what I am hoping is that the newest version of pulse audio 11.1 will work with the latest version of bluez5.47 to restore the hsp/hfp functionality.
no telephony is a big slipup not so much for LM but for Ubuntu which has touted itself to the business community.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

bluez 5.43

Post by winoseti »

Continuing on with the saga formerly pulseaudio woes.
It has been suggested some light in the tunnel with Bluez 5.43 with respect to hsp telephony. but 5.44-5.4x is not recommended.
So I got the tarball extracted it
cd to bluez-5.43.
./configure
and get this error
checking for GLIB... no
configure: error: GLib >= 2.28 is required
I check the version via synaptic and find I have version glib 2.48 ...????

Can some superuser go through the tar install with me as to how it is not recognising ? okay went to synaptic and installed
all sunstars except docs one of those worked and glib is now recognised

now the error message after ./configure
checking for UDEV... no
configure: error: libudev >= 172 is required
except we have 229 libudev according to synaptic????

okay did the same in synaptic and installed lidudev-dev ...recognised

new error message
checking for ICAL... no
configure: error: libical is required same I installed libical-dev....recognised but then

final error
checking readline/readline.h usability... no
checking readline/readline.h presence... no
checking for readline/readline.h... no
configure: error: readline header files are required .................??? what is this?

small check sudo apt-get install libreadline-dev

okay got through and went through make and make install got stopped ...went as root and finally installed bluez 5.43.

TBA continued.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winoseti »

uninstalled bluez 5.37 and blueman then installed bluez5.43 from tar. guess what after all the above 5.37 is reinstalled with blueman.

meanwhile I have
successfully installed pulseaudio 11.1 which should have hsp support. from tarball.
again I had to install multiple dev packages with synaptic and other from sudo apt-get. to get a makeable install.

but according to the gossip you need 5.43 to stand a chance for hsp. so back at it.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winoseti »

pulse audio version 11.1 installed hi5..reputedly hsp friendly needed multiple checking of dev packages via synaptic and some update to date headers downloaded
finally found a deb9 binary version of bluez5.43 which installed seemlessly with gdebi. after days of dealing with tarballs and ubuntu tarballs...hi5.
so have version 5.43. which is reputed to be the friendly version to HSP.

now I still havent got HSP working micwise. but am now venturing forward to find out about a patch for 5.43 and ubuntu.
winoseti
Level 2
Level 2

Post by winoseti »

confirmation that ubuntu 18.04 will have pulseaudio 11.1 which will support hsp telephony and along with ofono HFP.
this is good news as mint 19 is based on this. perhaps some pretesting in mint 18.x.??
I have managed to test bluez 5.43 and pulseaudio 11.0 in mint 18.3 and found hsp mic worked... only to have the update manager break it a day later with a regression.
have not been able to install bluez5.49 yet in mint 18.3.
[SOLVED] tentative Mint 19

Return to “Beginner Questions”