TimeShift at boot....

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Gramps

TimeShift at boot....

Post by Old Gramps »

I have searched and cannot find this anywhere, internet search or this forum search......

I have set up Time Shift as "at boot" option only, have not set any of the other options at all as I feel that once a day is sufficient and do not want to have the backup disc loaded at all times, just at boot time I feel is sufficient....

Now my problem is this :-: I booted up round 1130 hours this morning for the first time since the initial setup yesterday of timeshift. I watched the little blue light on my backup drive's dock for activity but no activity at all for quite a while after boot up of system. Did some stuff like read my emails etc. and still no activity of the drive. Checked the drive and partition sdf1 and no sign of a backup for today. At round 1255 or so I was at the command line and used 'timeshift --check' and viola light on docking station lights up flashing with activity.
After all settled down again, about 3 minutes or so, I checked the drive again and there is two snapshots for today one at 1258 and another 1301 both in the at boot folder.

Question is how do I get it to automatically start at boot time. Do I have to manually put a command in the startup utility in control panel myself and if so why doesn't this snazzy little program do that by enabling at boot time.

Thanks in advance to any and all answers to this dilemma....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Old Gramps

Re: TimeShift at boot....

Post by Old Gramps »

I think the dilemma is solved.... I feel it takes even an hour or so before the mechanism actually kicks in so will mark the original as solved.....
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: TimeShift at boot....

Post by Pierre »

it would still pay to watch that ext HDD, for any activity in the first hour.
- it should, however, do the Automatic Backup, at or close to Start, if that is what you set it to.
what do the actual TS setting show ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”