Free space in root in "safe mode"?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gar1606

need to delete things from root as it has no space...

Post by gar1606 »

I downloaded a cryptocurrency wallet and left it to download the blockchain to the default dir (which was root) and now it has no space left. The computer lets me get to the login stage but when I enter my password it says I have run out of memory and shold enter "safe mode" (I think, I am obviously not posting this from said computer), how do I enter safe mode and then how do I delete the now un-wanted wallet when I get there. I am new to linux and was only getting the hang of the terminal before this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gar1606

Free space in root in "safe mode"?

Post by gar1606 »

I downloaded a cryptocurrency wallet and everything was fine, it needed to sync with the blockchain and I left the folder it wanted to download to as the default (root). I came back a few hours later and the root folder is full and my computer was acting funny. Eventually I decided to delete the wallet and start again but this time to point it to a different dir. I deleted the folder in root but the computer was still acting funny, I restarted the computer and now I cannot log in, I get to the login screen but it tells me I have no space on the computer etc. How do I enter "safe mode" (I think that is what it said but obviously I am not posting this from said computer) and when I get to "safe mode" how do I go about free space in my root dir? I am new to linux and mint and was only getting the hang of the terminal before this started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: need to delete things from root as it has no space...

Post by pbear »

Depends whether you encrypted the system during installation. If not, this is easy. Boot with the same DVD or USB you used to install. From that system, called a live session, you can delete anything on the hard drive. This bypasses the login password, which is why it's not very good security. On the other hand, it makes repairs like this possible. For that reason, I don't encrypt the system, instead storing secure files on an encrypted USB drive.

Probably a solution if the system is encrypted, but I don't know what it would be.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Free space in root in "safe mode"?

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
topics merged, please don't double-post.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Free space in root in "safe mode"?

Post by Flemur »

gar1606 wrote:download to as the default (root).
Whether you meant "/" or "/root", that's the wrong place.
I restarted the computer and now I cannot log in, I get to the login screen but it tells me I have no space on the computer etc. How do I enter "safe mode" (I think that is what it said but obviously I am not posting this from said computer) and when I get to "safe mode" how do I go about free space in my root dir?
In the grub menu you should see a menu entry for something like "'Advanced options for Mint" - pick that. (Then it's called "recovery" or "single" mode....IIRC). If you don't see the grub menu, hold SHIFT when you boot.
I am new to linux and mint and was only getting the hang of the terminal before this started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If recovery mode you'll have a "console" that's basically a full-screen terminal. Then you'll need to "cd" to the files you want to remove then "rm filename".

But it might be easiest for you to boot the LiveDVD/USB and delete the files from there - you'll be able to use a file browser rather than the terminal. DO NOT send the files to trash or you won't save any space!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Beginner Questions”