Desktop environment suited for multiple monitor setups.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
waz

Desktop environment suited for multiple monitor setups.

Post by waz »

I've been a linux dude for 15 years. About 3 years ago I gave up on it entirely because I needed multi-monitor support without huge headaches. It just doesn't work well and creates problems that pull me out of my work. I've come back to see how things are coming along. It seems support is getting better, but it's still leaves something to be desired. Is there a desktop environment that handles multi-monitor setups (3+ monitors) better than all of the DE's I've tried before? (Cinnamon, Blackbox, Fluxbox, Gnome, Windowmaker, XFCE, enlightenment) Is this purely an X issue or do some DE's do it right?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Desktop environment suited for multiple monitor setups.

Post by mr_raider »

I use KDE with two monitors routinely.
waz

Post by waz »

mr_raider wrote:I use KDE with two monitors routinely.
Do you use multiple monitors in both portrait and landscape? Because I am having all kinds of issues due of this. GRUB and the login screen appear sideways on one of my monitors. Every fix that google shows doesn't help me. I'm also having issues with the screen saver not really working properly and some fullscreen programs defaulting to the sideways monitor. Very frustrating. :(

Would KDE help with these things?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

waz wrote:
mr_raider wrote:I use KDE with two monitors routinely.
Do you use multiple monitors in both portrait and landscape? Because I am having all kinds of issues due of this. GRUB and the login screen appear sideways on one of my monitors. Every fix that google shows doesn't help me. I'm also having issues with the screen saver not really working properly and some fullscreen programs defaulting to the sideways monitor. Very frustrating. :(

Would KDE help with these things?
Never tried sideways.
surensniper

Post by surensniper »

I`ve been using Cinnamon for months with my dual-monitor setup. I often connect to a projector as well and it handles them displays pretty good. And most importantly I love the option "move to another monitor" that appears when you right-click the application name from the task-bar. I am sure it would support monitors with both landscape and portrait simultaneously (you may not use them in 'extension' mode if they are in different orientations, i reckon).

Return to “Beginner Questions”