SOLVED; USB FTDI Cable use

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED; USB FTDI Cable use

Post by TriggerX »

Hi all,

This is my first hunt for help since I signed up. I have looked about and tried various ways to get my machine (Dell E6400, 2.4GHz Dual Core, 3GB RAM, Sonya 32Bit) to 'see' a USB to serial cable. It comes up as a CH340 USB/Serial cable in "Connected Devices" via the settings in my old netbook running W10. I want to get the cable to operate a 'push to talk' (PTT) function in a Ham Radio program called Fldigi. I don't really know how to get it going. From what I have read the driver should already be in Mint but I just don't really know how to find it and then get it to key up my radio to transmit the various datamodes sounds from Fldigi. Any help would be most welcome. Thanks, Tryg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Re: USB FTDI Cable use

Post by TriggerX »

I do not know if I need to be using a VCP driver or D2XX. I read this guide...

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... _Linux.pdf

My searching has a number of possibly conflicting instructions. I did try the "dmesg | grep FTDI" via Terminal but got no response. Just some further info regarding my efforts here. This is a bit of a headwrecker as I've been trying to sort it for most of the day. I wanted to make a bit of an effort before I posted for help. Cheers.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I use an FTDI cable with Chirp to program my handie-talkie. Pretty sure that I did not have to install any driver, as it is built into the kernel. I would think that fldigi would have a setting to use that serial port to key the rig. No?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

You might have to be part of group dialout

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G dialout user
Replace user with your login name on the computer
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerX »

jimallyn wrote:I use an FTDI cable with Chirp to program my handie-talkie. Pretty sure that I did not have to install any driver, as it is built into the kernel. I would think that fldigi would have a setting to use that serial port to key the rig. No?
If there is I can't quite figure it out. I tried the lsusb command and the device shows up but I cannot figure out how to get the device to talk to the interface ptt.
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TriggerX »

JeremyB wrote:You might have to be part of group dialout

sudo usermod -a -G dialout user
Replace user with your login name on the computer
I tried that and when asked for a password in the Terminal nothing I typed came up on the command line.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

That is normal to have no feedback from the terminal for the sudo password. Post results for

lsusb
With the FTDI plugged in
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED; USB FTDI Cable use

Post by TriggerX »

Hi All,

Upon the advice of one of the members here I signed up over at linuxham on Groups.io. David W1HKJ walked me through it all and now all is well with the rig putting out good, clean psk31 (through a dummy load for test purposes). I just wanted to express my satisfaction here on the forum and to say thanks very much to everyone that provided their time and assistance.

73, to all

Tryg

--
TriggerX
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED; USB FTDI Cable use

Post by TriggerX »

Hi All,

To follow up, here is the reply from David regarding setting up the keying of the rig via the cable.

"You should not need to worry about special drivers on Mint Linux. It should discover both the audio and the USB serial device on the fldigi controls for that purpose. Select the Portaudio and the microphone input / speaker (or perhaps line) output on this fldigi config tab.

Setup your PTT on this tab

Select the "Use separate serial port PTT". The device will probably show up as /dev/ttyUSB0. It might also be a "named" device
such as this device shows up on my test system for my FT817.

Use either entry. Check with your friend as to whether the interface should be controlled via DTR, RTS, or both. If using DTR you probably want to uncheck the "DTR = +V" control.

David"

I could not embed the images he attached in his reply but it should be pretty easy for those familiar with Fldigi. Cheers, Tryg de EI7CLB

Return to “Beginner Questions”