Software and Synaptic package manager broken[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cuyp

Software and Synaptic package manager broken[SOLVED]

Post by Cuyp »

Well, i messed around and managed to break both. I tried to install Waterfox web browser and i used terminal to add a repository(i think) and it failed. Then after,when i tried to run Software manager ,after clicking on the icon nothing happened. When i try to run Synaptic i get to type in the password and i get this error msg;
"E: Type 'curl' is not known on line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox-release-hawkeye116477.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

How to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
minitux

Re: Sowtware and Synaptic package manager broken

Post by minitux »

post the output of this, if you want to try to correct the problem.

Code: Select all

cat -n /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox-release-hawkeye116477.list
If you don't want to try to correct the ppa, remove it

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/waterfox-release-hawkeye116477.list && sudo apt update
Cuyp

Re: Software and Synaptic package manager broken

Post by Cuyp »

Removing it solves the issue.
Thanks!
minitux

Re: Software and Synaptic package manager broken[SOLVED]

Post by minitux »

Nice :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”