Questions about dual booting

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doubletwo
Level 3
Level 3

Questions about dual booting

Post by doubletwo »

I have some questions about dual booting Windows 7 with Linux Mint

1/ Should I tick the option Install Linux Mint alongside windows 7, & then adjust the size of the partitions

2/ If at a later date, I want to change the Mint for another Linux distro, how would i do that?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Questions about dual booting

Post by WharfRat »

You would need some disk space available in order to install any Linux distro.

Usually this entails shrinking the the win partition if there is no readily available space.

To install another distro overwriting the existing one you would have to direct the installer to install it to the partition(s) used by the old one or first remove existing partition(s).
Dany96

Re: Questions about dual booting

Post by Dany96 »

1) IF you want to dual boot, you should totally do this.
2) You can do that in the same way, boot in live session, or directly install, select installation alongside Windows 7, but you select the Linux Mint partition, just make sure it will format that partition before installation (it usually does, but I may be wrong) .

You should note that when you create the partition for the Linux distro, a field named "Path" will appear. Here you should write the start path of the partition (this is the C: D: equivallent.. sorta' :lol: ) . For only one partition, you just write "/" (without quotations, this is the root folder). But if you want to create two partitions, then make one with root folder, and one with your future home folder ("/home"). If you want to find out why they usually do this.. well, just Google it :lol: It wasn't so relevant for me so I don't actually remember why. I don't really feel llike this is safer, cuz any operation you make outside the home folder prompts for root privilege (use sudo), so why bother making two separate partitions? Whatever.

Oh, and you actually need to make a paging partition yourself (Welcome to Linux, DIY and have fun! ). But this is optional. Only do this if you need virtual memory. (this is the pagefile.sys equivallent of Windows, just that this is a file recognized as a partition. But you can create it after the installation too.)

Hope this isn't late and that it helps :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”