Menu question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AWG

Menu question

Post by AWG »

Hi,
I have the latest Mint installed, I think I may have messed something up.
In the Menu bar at the bottom (bottom on my OS) I used to see applications when they where running, for example, if I had Firefox up you could see it in the Menu bar and click on it to bring it up if it wasn't up already.
I don't see anything in the Menu bar now.
How do I fix or change this?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Menu question

Post by all41 »

Right click on the panel and choose Add to Panel, then scroll down to 'Window List'. Highlight that and click the Add button.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

And the panel is what the OP calls the menu bar. Just to avoid any possibility for confusion!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

FWIW, I think it's likely the OP is talking about Workspaces, i.e., the area between Panel and System. That is, the area along the lower border where active apps (but only active apps), whether opened from Menu or Panel, are indicated by a rectangle with the name of the app.

No idea what's causing the reported problem, though, as I've never run into it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pbear, now I'm getting more confused, not less. Workspaces are an entirely different thing and there is no Workspace switcher applet installed by default, so I don't think that's it. I really think this sounds like a missing Windows List applet.

AWG, can you tell us which version of the latest Mint you installed? The answer would be Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE or KDE. This is a question about user interface and those are very dependent on desktop environment (that's what those four options are called).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Sorry, now I'm confused also. I'll just bow out and let the OP clarify his (or her) problem, rather than trying to do it for him.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Moem wrote:pbear, now I'm getting more confused, not less. Workspaces are an entirely different thing and there is no Workspace switcher applet installed by default, so I don't think that's it. I really think this sounds like a missing Windows List applet.

AWG, can you tell us which version of the latest Mint you installed? The answer would be Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE or KDE. This is a question about user interface and those are very dependent on desktop environment (that's what those four options are called).
Moem nailed it.
I had that applet disappear when I moved up to 18.3 Cinnamon. I noticed it first by the absence of the thumbnails when hovering over the active item on the panel. Then I noticed the "missing running application info" the op speaks of.

I am removing it from my panel even though I liked the thumbnails because that running info really clutters up the panel.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Moem wrote:pbear, now I'm getting more confused, not less. Workspaces are an entirely different thing and there is no Workspace switcher applet installed by default, so I don't think that's it. I really think this sounds like a missing Windows List applet.

All41 and Moem are right again.

I had that applet disappear when I moved up to 18.3 Cinnamon. I noticed it first by the absence of the thumbnails when hovering over the active item on the panel. Then I noticed the "missing running application info" the op speaks of.

I am leaving it off my panel because the running info really clutters up the panel.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Ozo wrote:I am removing it from my panel even though I liked the thumbnails because that running info really clutters up the panel.
Check out the Applet 'Icing Task Manager'. It gives you the option to show the App Icon only. I ditched 'Window List' in favour of it as I like to have a lot of launchers in the panel so space is limited. Screenshot...

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Mick-Cork wrote:Check out the Applet 'Icing Task Manager'. It gives you the option to show the App Icon only. I ditched 'Window List' in favour of it as I like to have a lot of launchers in the panel so space is limited. Screenshot...
Thanks, that is a great solution. I had to trim down the number of launchers on my panel to make that look right. I am using double scale because I watch it on a 40" monitor across the room so stuff gets crammed up on the panel if too many launchers are there, but I like it. Screenshot from Imgr.

Another cool applet is "Scale" . Click it and all open items will pop onto the screen. Note there are 4 browser screens and 2 Applet screens.

CLICK TO ENLARGE DOUBLE CLICK FOR EVEN BIGGER

Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Ozo wrote:Another cool applet is "Scale" . Click it and all open items will pop onto the screen. Note there are 4 browser screens and 2 Applet screens.
Like the look of that. Is it actually called 'Scale'? Had a look for it but couldn't find.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Mick-Cork wrote:
Ozo wrote:Another cool applet is "Scale" . Click it and all open items will pop onto the screen. Note there are 4 browser screens and 2 Applet screens.
Like the look of that. Is it actually called 'Scale'? Had a look for it but couldn't find.
Yes. 18.3 Cinnamon.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Tx for that, how did I not see it! Just added and very handy. Staying on the desktop now :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”