[SOLVED ] Best Laptops for Linux Conversion?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bensatlantic

[SOLVED ] Best Laptops for Linux Conversion?

Post by bensatlantic »

]Five years ago I discovered Linux and converted my Dell N5110 from Windows 7 to Ubuntu, then finally to Mint and I've been a Linux user ever since. I've converted several Windows PC's to Linux and in that time with great results. It's good to see so many new laptops available (2017) pre-loaded with a Linux OS from companies like System 76. Still, new computers are quite expensive. Wondering if Mint members might recommend specific models either old or current, that began life as a Windows PC but have worked well once converted? My Dell N5110 has been fantastic with its i5 processor and quiet fan (a must!). Do you all have a favorite model, old or new in the under $400 range?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MichaelJohn

Re: Best Laptops for Linux Conversion?

Post by MichaelJohn »

In the last 3 -4 years I have changed the OS on a number of laptops from Windows to Mint.Various models of the DELL Vostro and HP255 have had relatively problem free switchovers although setting up the WiFi has been challenging on a few older ones. This forum has been useful with this issue.

Really old low spec laptops may be more trouble than they are worth!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I have a Lenovo Ideapad that is in your price range which works well with mint.
make sure it's the 110 model some of the others don't play so well with linux.
https://www.staples.com/lenovo-ideapad- ... 6359?cid=P
you can most likely find it cheaper other places but this gives you an Idea what to look for.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Dany96

Post by Dany96 »

I had fan / heat problems with all my Windows OSes, that's the main reason I switched to Linux. Now it's like my fan isn't even there. On my laptop (Asus X550DP, the model is from around 2012-13, so I don't think it's so expensive.. If you can find it anywhere :lol: ) , Linux Mint just worked like a charm, except the video prorpietary driver which at first ruined Cinnamon DE :lol: , but I'm fine with the openDriver too, it's not disturbing my work and works very well. I couldn't really use that anyway, since Windows' heatness wrecked my graphics processor :( I tried Linux Mint on Asus X553MA too, it's my sister's laptop, everything worked there too, except the backlight fn buttons. Good luck with your laptop! :D
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I have had good luck with two refurbished Lenovo T430s I got from Newegg - powerful i7 CPUs and 8G or RAM at a great price.
bensatlantic

Post by bensatlantic »

Thanks for the feedback and personal recommendations - I'm fired up to try some of these. Actually, cost aside - I'd probably miss that aspect if I bought a pre-loaded Linux machine - I really enjoy the DIY aspect of the conversion.
Last edited by bensatlantic on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Lenovo Thinkpads, built like a brick sh*t house and linux installs flawlessly. I'd had them for about 10 years, all second hand 'corporate' machines.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RobertService

Re: [SOLVED ] Best Laptops for Linux Conversion?

Post by RobertService »

I've had nothing but exceptional service from refurbished Lenovo ThinkPads, bought from quality suppliers; the reason for "quality" suppliers is the "No Hassle If You Have to Return It" factor PLUS the fact that these sources always use very-high-quality refurb sevices; mine have been from the best.
These machines are always 'like new', with a fresh version of Windows in place.
I always use Linux Mint's dual-boot option so that I will have Windows if I ever needed it for some reason (I have yet to ever need Windows); and I would NEVER connect to the internet if I DID ever have to use Windows.
Two years ago I bought a T420 from Target, a "new" machine with a brand-new copy of Win7 installed. I had such a good experience that I bought a "brand-new' re-furbed T430 (new Win10 image) from WalMart this past year (around $220 and $280, respectively).
Mint 17.3 is on the T420; Mint 18.2 is on the T430. (I added 4GB to the T420)
One could not ask for, or get, better Linux machines; in my case, no better Linux MINT machines. I have been, and am, ecstatic...so much so that my wife is scared silly that I might buy yet another T420 or T430 before the supply dries up.
RobertService

Post by RobertService »

@ majpooper--

"I have had good luck with two refurbished Lenovo T430s I got from Newegg - powerful i7 CPUs and 8G or RAM at a great price."

I think you and I are on to something really good...

Warmest regards...
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I've converted my HP 8460p (my main machine) and a Dell 1520. Excellent results!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hi bensatlantic,
You may want to post what you decided so it will be of help to others.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Topken

Post by Topken »

Thinkpads, HP Elitebooks and Dell Latitude laptops are all great choices for Linux.
bensatlantic

Post by bensatlantic »

kc1di wrote:Hi bensatlantic,
You may want to post what you decided so it will be of help to others.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :)
Actually, despite the excellent suggestions, I'm still pleased enough with my Dell N5110 i5 (Mint V17.1) that I'm considering picking up another. It has a quiet fan and a nice keyboard which are both important to me. Might consider the major's suggestion - the Lenovo i7 T430 Thinkpad too. I had an Asus K53z which I converted to Mint and that was a great laptop, but they seem hard to find. Also, I have not yet converted a machine with UEFI so have to study up on that. All the best - and a Merry Christmas to you as well!
Last edited by bensatlantic on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topken

Post by Topken »

No real difference with UEFI then with BIOS just need to disable secureboot really.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Usually the business class models from HP, Dell and lenovo are very Linux friendly because of less restrictions in the BIOS. Dell Latitude and Precision is what I use the most but Lenovo Thinkpads and HP Probooks work well too.

Many consumer level laptops (especially cheap underpowered models) won't even let you install anything other than Windows. They are restricted from the manufacturer.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

z31fanatic wrote:Many consumer level laptops (especially cheap underpowered models) won't even let you install anything other than Windows. They are restricted from the manufacturer.
Some of those also had the rug pulled by MS, specifically certain Atom-based models which customers were led to believe they would have long term support with. Not sure if those machines are OK with Linux; will have to look in to it.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Beginner Questions”